+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting beads on hooks

Default Putting beads on hooks

Sometime ago I read an article about using colored glass seed beads on soft hackles. So I bought a pack at the local craft store. My problem is getting them on the hook. If I go with larger beadsm, then they would not be porpotional to the hook. I am wanting to use them on Mustad 3906.

Any suggestions?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave,
    Are you talking that the bead won't make the bend on the hook, or how difficult it is to hold the bead steady to get it on the hook to start with?

If it's the bead going around the bend, sometimes it takes half a dozen tries, with different beads, to find one to make the curve. Sometimes if you just bend down the barb, the bead will slide on easier. If it's getting the bead to remain still so you can get the hook in the hole, try holding the bead on a loopy side of velcro. It'll stabalize the bead so you can "thread" it on te hook.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty

It is trying to get the bead around the bend of the hook. I mash down all my barbs before tying. I thought about taking my dremel and making the holes bigger but don't know if that'll break the bead.

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane from The Longest Silence.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I use Mustad 3399A's which are kinda like the 3906's but 2/3rds the price. You need to crimp the barb very flat since this is the most common problem. Use broad tip tweezers to hold the beads.

Most beads you get at the craft store aren't very good. They have small holes, vary greatly in size, and are often too 'long'. The one quality exception are "Mill Hill" embroidery beads made in Japan.

To get good beads you need to go to a bead store. There are lots around, just look in your phone directory. Again, Japanese beads are the best, in particular Miyuki or Toho brands. They are a consistent size with large holes. Some stores only sell Czech sead beads; these are okay for some applications.

Drilling them out sounds, well, dangerous.
    Have you tried another hook with lighter wire? I think the 94840 is about the same with thinner wire.

Thanks all. I'll look around for those brand of beads and also try some different hooks.

Drilling them out was one of those in and out the window thoughts that I sometimes get.

I tried drilling ...they break...besides I like the shiny stuff inside....

Now I very seldom have a problem and I still go to the craft stores.... but I know more what to look for...packages and brands do vary...I always check out the size of the holes....

Also, when they won't go around the bend many times you can force them with a little thumb nail pressure....of course some just don't go....

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 06 April 2006).]

Also, when they won't go around the bend many times you can force them with a little thumb nail pressure
    Yep, also, try flexing open the bend a bit for those borderline cases.

Here's a comparison photo between Miyuki 11/0 seed beads and some very bad ones I picked up cheap at the craft store. I'm sure not all are this bad but it'll will show you what is possible:

I use cheap metal beads, and there is a difference between the high fly shop beads and the ones i got cheap. They are different size some are squished different was or poorly drilled. However the fish dont seem to care.

I have found these beads to be the best,their seed beads are excellent and the smaller petite beads for small flies are worth a try. [url=http://www.millhillbeads.com/index2.php:14a16]http://www.millhillbeads.com/index2.php[/url:14a16]

You can order them direct on-line.
    Here are a couple I tied some time ago:_

Chrystal & Hares Ear

Rootbeer Buzzer

[This message has been edited by Donald Nicolson (edited 07 April 2006).]
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

+ Reply to Thread