+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2X short dry fly hook ?

Default 2X short dry fly hook ?

Hello, I like the Mustad R48 hooks(2X short)for tying Variants but they only go down to size 16. Does anyone know of another hook manufacturer that makes a short shank dry fly hook sizes 18 and smaller. I would like to tie up some small variants for this seasons fishing. Thank you, Jim

Blog Entries

TMC 500U is an up-eyed short shank dry fly hook. I have some in #18 and #22.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Hey Steve, Is the 500U a wide gap hook? Forgot to mention that in my post. Thanks, Jim

J:

Take a look at the Daiichi 1640 which is 2X short with a straight eye and available to size 22 I think; not sure about the gap.

Also the Daiichi 1310 which is 1X short/wide gap/down eye available to size 22

And finally, TMC 531 2XF 2X short down to size 20. I also think the TMC 518 is 1X short/wide gap available to size 32 for the REALLY small variants where the right sized hackle is EASY to find!

I am also pretty sure Dai-Riki makes a short shank too but I forget the number.

TMC 921. Down eye, 1x fine, 2x short.

Blog Entries

Jim,
    The TMC 500U is not a wide gape hook. It is 2X short, up-eyed, standard wire dry fly hook. It comes in sizes #16-#22.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Hello, Just want to say thanks for the help. I decided to go with the Daiichi 1640 hook in sizes 18 and 20. I am sure I will try others in the future though. Especially some of those short shanks in the tiny sizes. Thanks, Jim

+ Reply to Thread