+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Benches are great, but....

Default Benches are great, but....

I am at a stage in my life where I'm living a fairly nomadic lifestyle and usually the place to tie is wherever i have the time and willingness to bring some or all of my materials. Currently this is made up of a garage sale electricians briefcase and a small clear plastic organizer box.
    My problem is, however, that I would love to have a tying bag - and sadly too many are way too expensive for my current budget.
    I've looked at the "Barely a Ripple" and the BW sports, and theyre getting close for price for me, but they look a little cheap. Anyone have any experience with these? If you don't and you have a better solution, I'm listening.
    The hard case i currently own is good, but i don't know how long it will hold out and the locks are a little sketchy some times.
    Thanks in advance for all of your help!
    -Erik

I have one of the BW sports bags I won in a raffle at our monthly club meeting. I LOVE it.. Very well organized and big enough to fit some of just about everything I have into it. I may not ba able to take every bit of tying material I have but with what I have in that bag I can usually cover just about anything I know how to tie and a few I don't I'd recommend it.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Broadwing, I also had the same problem, and I bought myself a case called Bug Box. Its made out of wood and its a little heavy, but when its open there is a lid that opens for your vise and it also has holes drilled in it for bobbins etc. Thats the name of the company so you can probably google and find them.

On the recommendation of another FAOL member, I went to Bass Pro and bought a soft-sided tackle bag...one of the ones with a bunch of plano-style plastic boxes inside. It's perfect for me. Has a bunch of outside pockets which helps with organizing. Works great for me.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Locally we have a store "Big Lots". one time they had a soft double sided tool organizer by plano. came with 6 small plastic organizer boxes in mesh holing areas, 2 large organizer boxes, and outside pockets and shoulder strap. came to a total of $10 on clearance. works great!!

Interesting suggestions - regarding the soft sided bags from bass pro and the like - how do the plastic cases work with larger items (or how do you store and organize things like 2mm foam, necks, etc)?

Oh and regarding the Bug Box, that's really neat, but even more out of my price range than the fishpond coyote!

If you're at all handy you could alway build something similar to a bug box, but les cosmetically impressive. Even better it would be built to your own specs.

Jeremy

+ Reply to Thread