+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tying thread breaks too easily

See JC's post above....I doubt it would happen with uni.....of course nobody's perfect...

I agree with JC and others, Uni makes great thread. The only time I break it is when I am careless (too much tension while tying in deer/elk hair and not using the right thread LOL, or when I nick the point of the hook). I did have trouble with breaking thread when using a different bobbin that I normally use (Tiemco ceramics are my choice).

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Get some GSP and it wont break, get the 50 denier and its flat and test out some other threads like Danville and Gudebrod. I am going to play the devils advocate, I dont care that much for Unithread. I had the same trouble out of a couple of spools of 8/0 a few years back and switched to Danville and now Gudebrod. I just like the flat lay of the thread that those two have and Uni doesnt seem to have that down as well as Danville or Gudebrod.

The last spools of black Uni thread I bought I had to just throw away. I kept breaking the thread tying on one spool and finally took it out of the bobbin to see what was going on. It had frayed places about every foot or so.
    I threw that one away and got another. The same thing with it, before it was over I had thrown away all 4 spools I had bought at the same time. I have some other color's that I haven't had a problem with that I got at another time.
    I guess they had a bad run or something but I have since quit using it for I have to order my tying material and cant replace it quickly. I know things can happen with any product and I'm not nessasarily downing Uni but I cant take a chance on that happening any more.
    I'd say more than likely that is your problem as well if your bobbin is good. Pull it out of the bobbin and unwind the thread to see if there is bad spots it it. It was obvious in my spools, I could see and feel it. I feel you will see any bad places very easily if that is the case.
    Good luck, Jesse

------------------
    Jesse
    In old age, walking on a trail of beauty, living again may I walk

My bet is the bobbin. 90 percent of my breakage happens when stuff builds up on the inside. I don't know if there is a good way to clean out all the debris. Catching it on the exposed point of the hook is the other culprit. My thoughts. JGW

+ Reply to Thread