+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Flies

Default Tiny Flies

How many of you fish with size 20 and smaller? I have some 20-24 midges and some loop wings that I have tied and am thinking of selling.Just wanted to know before I count and price them.

I do, and they saved my butt last year. I had tied a bunch of 22 Pt's for some reason and hit the Trinity and for some reason the week we hit it the fish went from hitting anything to becoming very selective for small PT's and emergers even though nothing was hatching.

Unfortunately, I rarely use a fly bigger than a size 20.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

Flies in that range are pretty routine out here. I never buy them, though, as they are just too easy and cheap to tie.

John,

I'd say about 1/3 of the flies I use are size 20 and smaller.

Allan

I very frequently tie and fish flies #20 and under. I'd say probably 40% of the stuff I tie is #20 or smaller, most commonly Baetis dries in their various incantations, usully #22 or #24.

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Some places I fish, if you don't fish 24 and under, you might as well stay home.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I think Mantis's reply to this...ended up in the hackleing small flies thread.....Explains why it just did not seem to jive with what the other guy was asking of....

And I agree with him....The sheer number of guys offering flies....of any and all sizes on places such as ebay....Makes getting your flies noticed...almost impossible.....
    And they're prices are rock bottom..in even gross lots...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 22 March 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Well, this all leads me to think I should just keep what I have.Thanks guys.

John,
    I will say I find the swaps on this site alot of fun..and you have a real excuse to tie whatever you might want to...even exparament with the unusual!!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread