+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Glue / Glue Guns

Default Hot Glue / Glue Guns

Hi there,
    For a while I've been using epoxy for flies like copper johns, bass flies and even sometimes just for the heck of it. I've also used the UV knot sense and like that, but I am wondering if anyone uses hot glue in these situations? I don't want to completely replace epoxy or other materials, it's simply that sometimes I imagine that usiong a glue gun would be quicker and cleaner.
    Can you get a fairly clear product with this method? Any input would be helpful.
    -Erik

Yes you can get a nice clear glue stick, even clear ones with glitter in them. Look at craft stores such as Joann's or Michelle's. They stock them with the glitter and puff paint at my local store.

I still prefer epoxy, I find it harder to get the glue to flow and form an even smooth glob. I had some success using a heat gun to smooth things out.

That reminds me too - can you advise whether low or high heat guns are better?

You can get either for the following reasons:

Low: it can be shaped with hands but that mostly clouds it. It also dries faster

High: YOU TOUCH YOU BURN. dries slower and it usually is smoother.

I mainly use epoxy because it just flows better than the glue gun and is more durable overall i would stick with the epoxy.

Broadwing,

Hot glue has lots of uses. Epoxy does too. Different materials for differing applications.

I like hot glue for bodies on zonker type flies, eggs, and for making round 'heads' when I want the fly to sink but not too fast, and have a place to add nice big eyes. Faster than epoxy, less mess, and very durable. Comes in a wide range of colors.

Get BOTH low and high temp guns. At around $3 each you'll find a use for both. The high temp gun gives a better bond and clearer results, but for some things, where too much heat can damage things or you want LESS time for the glue to flow, the low temp gun can come in handy.

I primarily use epoxy as a coating, which hot glue just isn't suited for. You can't beat epoxy for covering foam, adding a 'lens' effect to eyes, wing cases, etc.. Hot glue might damage materials, and it's not as clear.

Fun to experiment with. I'm not sure how it will work on a Copper John, but I'm looking for some really clear glue, and if I find it, I'll certainly give it a try.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

There are special grades of hot glue sticks that are for tying flies. These are hot fish colors and ultra clear. I have used them to make salmon egg cluster flies.

Get the sticks at major shops, Faol sponsors or a huge online presence that starts with a "C" for sure.

Rich

Great advice! Thanks for all of your help.

Question for ya flymaker. I have seen the color sticks and the egg and cluster egg flies they make. As a guy who only uses a glue gun to try and repair a wooden chair...how the heck do you use them (glue guns) with out getting all the stringy cobwebby trails all over everything. ????
    The egg flies I have seen are nice and neat... no remnants of stringy stuff!!!

Hey Mantis,

I only experimented with a few flies but they came out nice and neat. I used the glue gun to form a rough ball on the hook and then detach the gun from the glue (on the hook), making stringies and all if it can't be helped. I then would use the tip of the gun and hold it near the ball of glue to keep the glue liquified and then rotate the hook to make a nice ball. I wouldn't touch the gun to the glue but relied on the residual heat to melt the glue so it would smooth out. Alternatively, I found a lighter to be much better suited. In the end the stringies disapear and you have a nice neat ball of glue. Mixing colors provided some great results as well.

[This message has been edited by Jgoding (edited 28 February 2006).]

Mantis- I experimented with the materials a bit and found the trick is rapid heating and cooling.

Like Jgoding said, you pull the tip away quickly after it has been dispensed, let the tail melt into the ball, and then rotate the hook until you get the shape desired. Then the quickly quench the molten plastic in chilled water(bowl with ice water) and the quench freezes the egg solid in a few seconds. Then repeat until cluster is formed. The clusters I made had maybe 4-5 eggs clustered on a #10 gold egg hook without blocking the hook gap. Sometimes I would first load a gold bead on the hook. The gold bead would be inside the cluster and the glint off that gold bead through the tranlucent eggs is brilliant, especially when using the correct, water clear glue stick grades...

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 28 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread