+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying with AK

Default Tying with AK

The big Arlington convention fly fishing show is this week-end. Signed up to take a class with A.K. Ed Engle will be there as well. Any of you done this before? Wondering what it will be like.

Midstream,
    I'm going drive over there (from Ft. Worth) this weekend but did not sign up for any of the pre-pay classes. I kind of wish I had now. Please let us know, or at least me, what the discussions were about.
    Joe

Saw two of AK's presentation seminars at the San Rafael fly show couple weeks back. GRAND presentations. VERY interesting and informative.
    .....lee s.

AK's a regular guy. Down to earth. No fancy dress up nor fancy words like some. Think you will have a good day with him....Bob

PS: While you are at the show check out my tying and fishing buddy Dave Brandt. He should be there tying his Catskill flies. He is a long time casting instructor for first Lee, and now Joan Wulff and is one of the last 3 long time 'OLD Time' Catskill style tyers, Mary Dette and Ralphie Graves being the other two. He likes being called 'Old Timer' so when you see him call him that...LOL.....

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 03 March 2006).]

Both A.K. and Ed Engle live within 30 miles of me. I have seen them both tie at the big Denver trade show. I am fortunate enough to also see them at free tying seminars sponsered in the local shops from time to time.

A.K. Best taught a class at the Denver show with about 20 people attending. He tied with a large video screen overhead so the big audience could see well. It was well worth it and I always learn alot from him, absolutly love his books.

Before and after the seminars most of the professional tyers sat at 'tyer's row' in small booths and tied flies to pass the time. During the off hours I was able to approach them one-on-one, ask questions and watch them tie up bugs at my request.

[This message has been edited by kengore (edited 03 March 2006).]

Midstream,

I will be driving up from Bryan (3 hours). Not attending the seminars but look forward to the tying demonstrations and other such stuff.

Brian

I took the AK tying class at a fly fishing show about 2 years ago. We tyed 2 patterns in 3 hours. It was great!! I think AK is or was a school teacher. You will enjoy it and will learn much. He is a thoughtful fly tyer and has a reason for everything he does.

Enjoy!

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

For anyone that is going to be there, I will be the big bald guy with the Winston Jacket and hat that says "fish control my brain" Looking forward to meeting some of you.
    midstream

Hello All,

I will be tying BIG flies on a Dingo vise at the show all day on Saturday.

If you get a chance, stop by, say hello and see what a Texas bream fly looks like !

See you at the show!

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

It's been my experience that when watching the best and AK is one of them, pay close attention to what his hands are doing... listen second. There are so many little 3/32? of an inch hand moves that will go unnoticed if you watch the tiers face while they speak.
    AK much to his credit has found a way to wrap those ?cupped? saddles hackles. This alone is worth the price of admission and it?s brilliant.

------------------
    harry mason
    [url=http://www.troutflies.com:42f2a]http://www.troutflies.com[/url:42f2a]
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

+ Reply to Thread