+ Reply to Thread

Thread: woodduck skin

Default woodduck skin

Does anyone know where whole woodduck skins are available. The price of a small packet of flank feathers being what they are seems like it might an idea to pay more and get a lifetime supply.

I don't think you'll find that many more on a whole skin. Seriously, I've shot and plucked them...the good flank feathers are there but limited.

I got a wood duck skin off of eBay a few years ago for $15. They show up there now and then; mallard skins are a little more common. Like Ducksterman said, you probably won't get many more feathers off a skin than you would packaged, but there's lots of other feathers that you can put to work. Hope you find one.

Regards,
    ScottP
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Since ducks are simply awful to try to skin with all the fat they have, plucking is usually a much simplier and more effective manner to save the feathers. Many duck hunters are also fishermen. Perhaps your local tackle shop could introduce you to a couple of folks that would be interested in a swap. If they don't fly fish, many spin and baitcaster fishermen love to have custom tied treble hooks to go on their crank baits. Offer them a swap. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Youn might try Coffin Creek Furs at the following web address. They show drake wood duck in their web pages as 'out of stock' but in the past I have found a phone call often produced items that were not in the on-line catalog....
    [url=http://www.flytyingfurs.com/Products2.htm:1dabe]http://www.flytyingfurs.com/Products2.htm[/url:1dabe]

A great company to do business with, if they don't have it currently they might be able to get it in the future.

+ Reply to Thread