+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what do you use for black dye?

Default what do you use for black dye?

Ive tried using liquid Rit dye but the black always seems to leave a purple tint to whatever Im dyeing. Just wondering what others use to get a good black color?. Thanks

I use Rit also...with the darker colors especially black..You'll prolly need to increase the time you allow the materials in the dye bath..Takes a long time to dye things to black...more heat does NOT help..only time...or if you feel the time was sufficant Or the dye bath is really getting weak...you can try a second dye bath...for some materials a second dyeing is needed...Did/Do you add White Vinegar? this really helps the materials absorb the dye solids... Just some thoughts.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 22 February 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Fishflyer,
    Theres a real good book out there by A.K. Best called Dying and Bleaching natural fly tying materials. There is alot of good info in this book,along with names of dyes to use. Ritz dyes are only good in certain colors for dying materials, the dye just don't hold well, plus you have to keep yhe temp at around 110 degrees, wich sometimes will harm some of the materials. I can't remeber off the top of my head the name of the other dye company (I'm at work,not close to my books LOL). I'll try to get back on tomarrow and drop the name and contact info of the company for you. I found the book i mentioned on amazon for I think $12,well worth it if you want to dye or bleach your own materials. Talk to you later! [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/dyingmaterial/:58b19]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/dyingmaterial/[/url:58b19] Try this link, it is the other brand of dye i was thinking of
    ------------------
    Tying and Flying is the only way to fish!

[This message has been edited by dragonfly1 (edited 22 February 2006).]

Thanks for the info and I do use white vinegar. Also know about A.K.'s book. Maybe more vinegar and time will help. Black seems to be about the only color I havent been able to dye, of those Ive tried so far. I'll have to check out the link, thanks.

I have been dying feathers occasionally for 15 years. Black is the very hardest to do. It takes more heat, time, dye, and vinegar. I have heard it helps if you dye it orange first. Also I have heard if it takes on a purple hue add some color, I don't remember what that color is.
    Purchase some black marabou and wash it with liquid soap and warm water. You would be surprised how much dye washes out. It is still black, just not as black. My point here is even the top materials suppliers have a hard time with black.
    Black is the only color I won't do. I gave up with black.
    There is a way and this board is the place you might find out. I am pretty good with nearly all shades and colors, except the one you are asking about here.
    Sorry
    Bob

I have dyed materials for 45 years. Black is the hardest to do hands down. My advise to you is to just buy the materials you want in black. You will be a lot better off and not be wasting the money trying to get something dyed black. I don't even dye it anymore just not worth the trouble. Ron

I haven't dyed in several years but when I did I was quite satisfied with Jacquard Acid Dyes. Yes... Black is a pain. I have had to dye black twice but not after learning to let the feathers or fur stay in the bath much longer, with a heavier than usual concentration, and make sure it was plenty hot. Ed.

Thanks for tips, advice and links guys. Usually I'll just buy what I need in black but occassionally you have a material you just cant find in black. Since I already have the Rit dye lm in the process of trying this again. Going by advise i was given I soaked the material overnight then dyed it orange. Its now in the black dye. I used more black dye and vinegar than I normally would use for doing other colors and am allowing it more time. Seems to be working , time will tell.

[This message has been edited by fishflyer (edited 23 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread