+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Artic fox

Default Artic fox

When using artic fox do you make any attempt to stack or line up the hairs a little?

Where do you buy it? I been looking for some.

I've just gotten into using it and it seems the artic fox tails go for around $17.95 each so I bought some on ebay for $5 each.

On the Fly carries both Tails and Body fur Patches at reasonable prices..I find tails are best for my tying...and the best value...tails were 10.95 each last I checked...one tail will pretty much do you per color for life!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I use Artic Fox qute a bit and have never really bothered to align the tips too much. This creates a bit of a tapered effect if you are using it for tails. If you don't mind a skin with some tears or holes in it, which presents no problems for us fly tiers, you can pick up a skin for not too much money. I then dye the fur the desired colors. I ended up purchasing an entire skin from hideandfur.com. Great folks to do business with.

Jim Smith

I've only used the tail hair and it does not stack well. If I want to even it up a little I hold it by the butts and pull out the longer hairs. Then hold it by the tips and pull out some of the shorter hairs.

Jay

+ Reply to Thread