+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some ideas

Default Need some ideas

Hey folks,

In about 16 weeks I'm going to be fishing in the promised land for some smallies. I'd love to tie up something that sinks slowly and moves side to side when twitched. What I have in mind is something that would emulate a fluke. You folks have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Greg Qualls

something else you might want to emulate is the baby brush hog. One of the most dynamite patterns I've ever used. Went from Texas to Pennsylvania with it. Smallies will kill it.
    Steve

Rookie,

I'm open to any dynamite pattern ... trouble is recognizing just what that might be. I've never heard of a baby brush hog. Do you tie them? If so, can you give me some specifics? You can email me if you'd like. Baby brush hog ........ just sounds good.
    Thanks

I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, but roughly where is this promised land?

What do you mean"emulate a fluke"?
    Fluke are saltwater fish ?????

think leech Ray
    took me a few minutes too

'round here a fluke is a summer flounder
    .. or a parasitic worm... yum

------------------
    I never lost a little fish
    yes, I'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

northjerseyflyguy,

the promised land I am referring to is 1407 miles from my driveway. Technically, it's the Boundary Waters of Northen Minnesota and Ontario, Canada. Best smallmouth fishing I've ever had. I know some other guys on this board probably have better places, but this is mt favorite place to fish.

Ray,

By emulating a fluke ... it never crossed my mind there was a saltwater fluke fish. Sorry for the confusion.
    The fluke I am referring to is a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inch soft bait made by several bait companies. In the water is sort of mimics a wouded baitfish ... depending on how you work it. I just think it would be great to tie up something that would come close to this action. In my mind, it would be a smallie slayer. I know I can fish the typical fluke and catch them, but I would much rather be fishing my fly rod.

Thanks ... keep the feedback coming.

northjerseyflyguy,

the promised land I am referring to is 1407 miles from my driveway. Technically, it's the Boundary Waters of Northen Minnesota and Ontario, Canada. Best smallmouth fishing I've ever had. I know some other guys on this board probably have better places, but this is my favorite place to fish.

Ray and Dudley,

By emulating a fluke ... it never crossed my mind there was a saltwater fluke fish. Sorry for the confusion.
    The fluke I am referring to is a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inch soft bait made by several bait companies. In the water is sort of mimics a wounded baitfish ... depending on how you work it. I just think it would be great to tie up something that would come close to this action. In my mind, it would be a smallie slayer. I know I can fish the typical fluke and catch them, but I would much rather be fishing my fly rod.

Thanks ... keep the feedback coming.

Greg,

I went down and pulled out s super fluke. I think you could probably come close if you used closed foam. It would probably take a little engineering. I think the secret would be to get a slight taper on the front, build the body probably weight foreward and just enough tail for the action. You would probably have to weight it just enough for the slow fall. The closed foam with just the hook as weight wouldn't be enough weight for the slow fall.

Just a thought.
    Steve

I tie up a fly that might fit the bill. I tie it on different hooks usually 1x to 3xl.
    A good hook for you're purposes would be a light wire straight eyed worm hook

Tail is bucktail, then Mirage Flash, then 4 to 6 saddle hackles tied around the sides and top. Usually two on each side and one or two on top.
    Body is long estaz and cheap spey hackle, though you could use large webby schalpen(sp?)
    After tying in the bucktail, flash, and saddle hackle, I tie in the estaz,make 3 or 4 wraps, then wrap it down, tie in the spey hackle or schalpen, and wrap it in, making sure you stroke the hackle so it's facing back. Then you alternate estaz and hackle.
    When you get near the eye, make sure you leave enough room to build a thread head. I make a pretty substantial one. After building the head, whip finish or tie off and trim excess thread. I usually put a drop of thin Zap-a-Gap on the head, and squeeze the sides flat with unserrated pliers. I add 3-D eyes, then coat the head with 5 minute epoxy, rotating till set up.
    What I discovered by accident is that by not being careful with the epoxy,some of it seeped into the last wrapped hackle and formed an irregular collar in back of the head. When I retrieved these flies, they nice jerky movement without having to use my rod to get it. With all the hackle, I have to submerge and wet it before I cast it if I want it to start sinking when it lands, and it sinks very slowly. I know its been deadly on smallmouth and pike in Ontario.
    I usually tie it in white, or white with a yellow, chartruese or red collar. But you can use whatever you think would work.

+ Reply to Thread