+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stimulators

Default Stimulators

I just started tying these flies and have been having suprising success, at first glance it looks like a challenging tie.

Anyway does anyone have any suggestions, aside from the article in the archives on tying this fly extra buggy? Any favorite variations or fishing techniques?

Im hoping to use mine on small streams for brookies.

Thanks
    Doug

go smaller and smaller.

mgj

The newest version is the foamulator with Foam body & rubber legs

paflyfisher16,

You may want to tie some flashabou accent or crystal flash as underwings before you tie elk hair overwings, which gives an illusion of fluttering when viewed from under water. Spin-off from Jack Dennis' idea.

Or, as Jack Dennis does, you can tie the thorax hackle in a parachute style in combination with flashabou accent underwing. Don't cut the remaining part of flashabou accent after tying it as underwings. Tie the remainder as the parachute post and wrap the hackle in a parachute style rather than in a palmerning one.

Randall Kaufmann also likes to add rubber legs when fishing western choppy waters.

Last variation would be to use CDC feathers instead of elk hair wings. It really works. And, don't put liquid floatant on your CDC wings as it will mat CDC fibers and ruin the desired effects. Use Dry Shake instead.

I hope this helps.

The Stimulator Fly, is an attractor pattern, when you do not have the correct pattern for the waters you are fishing.

Think of it this way, there is a Trico hatch sitting on the mirror smooth pool, in the early morning hours. You left your trico's back at home, because they are not due to hatch (emerge) for another week or so.

There you are with everything but the right fly pattern, watching the fish leave little rings on the mirror smooth pool surface. Pull out Stimulator, an attach it on the end of your tippet, and cast the fly out among the soon to be departed Trico's.

I guarantee that you will not only catch a fish, but the fish you catch will inhale all the water in the pool, to take your fly! It will also be the largest fish in the pool, who is tired of the appetizer's, and is ready for an entr?e!

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 13 February 2006).]

Here's a bold statement....

I don't understand if asked "what one fly you would want for all DRY fly fishing"....why the Stimulator doesn't win by a big margin....

Talk about versitile....

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 13 February 2006).]

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 13 February 2006).]

Hi,

One variation is to use foam body instead of dubbing. Larva Lace makes a very thin foam that works well:
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/about/larvalace/:9e88e]http://flyanglersonline.com/about/larvalace/[/url:9e88e]

Good luck

Al Beatty shared a good tip with me for straightening out elk hair. A small clump of curved hair can be straightened some by pinching every 1/8 inch with your thumbnail on the backside of the curve. Of course keep the hair together before you do this. This is a bigtime tying tip from Al.
    Bob Scheidt

Jim Slattery Guest

Stimulators rock. I've been using them for over 25 years. Bending the hooks was a pain though back in the old days

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:d2e5f]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:d2e5f] [url=http://www.flymph.com:d2e5f]www.flymph.com[/url:d2e5f]

I'm not sure where in PA you're located, but over here in the Southwestern part I've had tremendous success with the stimulator. In fact the largest trout I've ever caught was on a Royal Stimulator. At first I only fished them in smaller sizes - #16 & #18, but then I realized they work exceptionally well for a hopper pattern in the larger sizes. I like to tie them with a Pearl or Rootbeer Crystal Flash underwing. So my advice is to not be afraid of the larger sizes, especially later in the season - July, August, September.

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

+ Reply to Thread