+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Fly Tester

Default Orvis Fly Tester

Hi Folks - My wife bought me an Orvis Fly Tester (by Kalax) for my birthday and man it is great fun. Really a neat tool that is a blast to use; I'm really enjoying it. It seems well made and certainly operates as advertised - the current can be adjusted from a slow flow to a raging current. I just thought I'd pass along my impressions. Cheers, Alec

Okay, I'll be the first to ask..."What's a Fly tester????

Something that Orvis is useing as yet another moniker seller ....
    But I'm guessing it's some sort of tank that replicates a stream curret flow in which you can see "Test" your flies in...LOL..This would have kept my ex Bro in-law from playing in the bath tub so much!!....LOL

****** my Sis off something awful...He tested everything in the tub prior to fishing it...I do all my testing in front of the fishes..after all don't they have the final say???
    Jus some thoughts.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 05 February 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I thought a "Fly Tester" was a fish....

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

The Orvis Fly Tester is manufactured by Kalax in Finland. It is of course available under their name as well, but is being marketed in the US by Orvis. It is a device that replicates the moving current of a stream and allows one to assess a flies behavior in the water. The current speed is fully adjustable. You can learn more about it here: [url=http://www.kalax.net:d1921]http://www.kalax.net[/url:d1921]
    I am having alot of fun with it and finding it to be very useful! Cheers, Alec

Interesting fly tying toy!

But what I find really cool is that; your wife thought of buying you a nice fly tying related object!

IMHO, they are boyh keepers!

chris from canada

My son bought one for me for Christmas. Lacking Gary LaFontaine's ability to scuba dive to watch his flies; I like the fly tester.

I do wish I had a better understanding of how to determine the "water" speed and the speed of the variable motor.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

+ Reply to Thread