+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Question

Default How To Question

I was reading in the archives a while back and there was a tip on how to make your own dubbing with a blender and materials...I looked at every entry and now its gone...Can someone out there help me out...My wife wouldnt let me use her blender, so we went to an estate sale and I found one for 5 bucks but now I cant find the post...
    Thanks

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Morning Kap,

I'm not sure that you want to use a blender for this venture unless you are really careful and keep your blender pulses very short. Most of us use a coffee grinder which is a little less powerful and less likely to chop the material up. Anyway, this is an easy, quick way to make dubbing and in exactly the color, degree of sparkle, and the amount of "buggyness" that you need.

For natural furs just cut a couple of thumb-sized chunks off the hide (as close to the skin as you can) and pulse blend. For a fine, dry-fly mixture, comb out most of the guard hair and blend only the soft underfur. For a buggy nymph dubbing leave more guard hair.

Need a little more olive color, add some dyed olive fur and reblend. Or add olive yarn cut into half inch pieces and reblend. Keep adding natural and dyed materials until you get the blend that you need.

Want a little sparkle add antron or Z-lon cut into half inch pieces. With synthetic materials you must be very careful not to overblend. Use short pulses and stop when mixed. I always add synthetics last. BTW, Polar Fibre makes some great dubbing and is a wonderful additive to natural fur because it comes in a bunch of different colors.

Above all, experiment, have fun. This is a great chance to be creative.

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

It is not as fast as the coffee grinder, but you can do it with two heavy duty dog brushes.

ONe thing to do is to keep track of what you use to make each batch. That way if you want to do it again you have the recipie.

That is the voice of experience talking.

Rick

Admittedly wet blending with water and a tiny amount of dishwashing detergent is slower than dry blending but after you drain in a sieve,rinse and dry on a paper towal you'll have a neat little disc of "felt". One word of caution, if you blend synthetic yarn-like material be sure to cut it into short lengths and loosen up the stranded sections or they will tangle.
    Have fun !

Blog Entries

Eight Thumbs, have you no mercy? Another poor soul is now pointing down the road to ruination... <sigh>
    I wonder if he will catch up to me.

Ed

Are coffee grinders more prone to static electricity than the blenders?

How do you deal with the static electricity problem....I haven't had much luck with the anti static sprays?

I'd suggest these types of yarns as a very inexpensive source of synthetic material...I got mine at Wally World for 25 cents a pack...some brnds can be shinier than others.

Wooly
    Member posted 20 December 2005 07:51 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a picture of the J&P Coats acrylic yarn. It is softer than another brand that I have which is called Needleloft plastic canvas yarn.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

I see the picture didn't paste....you can go to wooly's post....under punch yarn.

If you can find a small pint jar attachment for your blender it will give you a small enough volume to dry mix a reasonable amount of dubbing. Yes I found the plastic coffee grinders to be more prone to static than the glass blender jar.

Jay

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Ed,

I do sometimes feel like the street corner pusher who hands out free drugs to newbies. But, if I didn't do it, someone else would. As far as catching up with us, I think we are both safely ahead of the pack for some time. 8T

To control the static in the coffee grinder, you can wipe the inside with a dryer sheet before using.

+ Reply to Thread