+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dahlberg Diver / Hair Bug

Default Dahlberg Diver / Hair Bug

Does anyone know if you have to use a "dry" fly hook for deer hair bugs? I tied my first Dahlberg Diver (if you want to call it that)last night, and I used a stainless steel hook because I was told the deer hair would float anything. Also because I fish brackish water that dissolved wire hooks. It sinks like a rock. Maybe I didn't pack the hair tight enough, but I'm still skeptical of the hook. Thanks for any advice.

My guess is that you did not pack the hair in tight enough. I use all sorts of hooks on deerhair bugs (including some saltwater hooks) and none of them sink. After using them a bit, deer hair flies tend tp absorb water and you need the "shake them out", but even when waterlogged they only ride low in the water. Are you using a Brassie or other packing tool when packing in the hair? If not, consider getting one as they really make it easier to get a nice super tight packing.

Jim Smith

[This message has been edited by James Smith (edited 26 January 2006).]

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Otter,

Have you considered making your Dahlberg Diver a little deerhair life jacket?

While James questions the hair packing on your fly, I would focus on the hair itself. Some deer hair is very fine and has poor floatation quality due to a lack of air spaces in each hair. This poor quality hair (for surface bugs) is usually fine, straight and spins/flairs poorly. Did you have trouble with the hair spinning and flairing properly when you were tying the fly? While deer hair won't float an anvil, it should keep just about any reasonable hook afloat without a problem. Try using some different hair and see if that solves your problem. Don't give up on the diver, it's a great "bug." 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

What material did you use for the tail of your Diver? A long tail made out of a zonker strip will get waterlooged (and heavy) fast, sinking your Diver.

Alberto

I have tied many deer hair bugs on 4/0 stainless saltwater hooks and they float just fine. I would look at your deer hair tying skills as the culprit, especially if you are new to it. You must pack it tight after tying and spinning each bundle.

------------------
    Ron M

Dahlberg Uses alot of Mustad 34007's (#2/0 to # in tying his divers, I have an older In-Fisherman Video where he does a Mega Diver and suggests either 34007(Stainless),3407...which is a tinned hook for salt fishing..Not as good as stainless but will do in a pinch....I like useing Mustad 3366 hooks for freshwater Deer Hair bugs...as they are cheap and are the same sproat bend as the others...3399 hooks are also good...I don't tie much deer hair on dry fly hooks unless I'm targeting Pannies..

He doesn't actually spin his deer hair for his Divers.
    He centers the clump on the hook and holds it in place with his left forefinger and thumb and tightens the thread down tight to flare it...packs and flexaments and repeats till the hook shank is full...The technique is alot faster than spinning and just as durable.

The In-Fisherman Video was "Flyfishing for Pike"
    ------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 29 January 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread