+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feather burner

Default Feather burner

At a recent trade show I saw a little battery powered tool that was used to burn off stray hair or feather fibers on a completed fly by having a small resistance heated tip. Can someone identify this tool for me ?

They were called a "hot spot', doctors and vets use them to cauterize. Cortland did sell them at one time.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

They are disposable cauteries generally used in minor surgeries. When I worked in hospitals we bought them for $1.00 apiece. Of course now that there's a secondary use in fly tying the cost is significantly more ranging up to over $20 apiece. Some of these have replacement batteries but some have batteries that are a little complicated to replace. They certainly have uses for fly tying.

Allan

I just got the new feathercraft catalog today. It's on page 74. They call it the "Power-Zap."

Yes, called cauterisers. They come in 'high' and 'Lo' heat. The disposable ones can still be re-used if you cut off the top and replace the batteries then tape back shut.. The hot ones are very good for burning holes in spun deer hair flies like mice, to create a bed for eyes. The low heat ones are perfect for trimming a single errant piece of material or fuzz without causing potential damage to nearby material on the fly. Even though the 'low' heat ones fillaments don't 'glow', don't touch them as they are hot indeed.

Don't think I could build a rod without the Power-zap! They cut the threads without leaving fuzzies. Just don't touch the main wrap with the tip, or you get to wrap the guide all over again!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Does Feathercraft have a website ?

Yep!
    [url=http://www.feather-craft.com:b9ea0]www.feather-craft.com[/url:b9ea0]

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I just use incense to singe off the excess and spend, at most, 4 bucks a box. It masks the smell of singed feathers nicely and gives just enough- but not too much- heat. You don't have to touch the feather with the incense, only hold it nearby. Between feathers you can put it out or place it in an incense burner that will catch the ash.

Thanks flyangler, for the tip....as a smoker...I bet it might be a great way to mask those as well....Only time I tend to chain the things...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread