+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I did it!......with help

Default I did it!......with help

I finally tied a parachute adams that looks like the ones in the books! It took Every book A.K. Best has written plus several others. When I got the Fly Tiers Benchside reference I was able to put it all together and come up with a combination of techniques that work for me. I really did take something from all the books I have bought. Besides A.k.'s and the Benchside reference and of courset Talleur's guide to fly tying, can you recommend anymore "musthave" fly tying books?

If you can find one get Oliver Edwards DVDs on tying. Best I have ever seen. If you want to do Catskill Style check out Dave Brandts. Ralph Graves and Don Bastian do Wet Flies. Give these videos a shot, easier to follow than a book, stop action..

Another spot might be this member's (bones) site: [url=http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/:82382]http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/[/url:82382]

As good as A.K.'s books are, see if you can find a copy of the videos. They really show in very good detail what the book writes about. This is very useful on the biot bodys and his winging technique.

Depending on your interest, there a a number of other good tying books. I haunt bookstores when I travel and have had a lot of success at Half-Price books.

TxEngr

I really like "Tying Emergers" also by Schollmeyer. Congratulations on your parachute success. With any luck they'll continue to get easier from here! Now you just have to learn to tie them with split hackle tip wings.

JeremyH

"Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes is most excellent. The "Orvis Fly Tying Guide" is pretty good too.

-Darryl

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

+ Reply to Thread