+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bead head collars

Default Bead head collars

Here's a quote from Thwack's post under the mole skin thread.

"I've used it to cover the thread on a bead head between the hackle and the bead. Takes only a tiny tiny amount but it really cleans up the head of the fly."

I'm not against this at all and do that sort of thing myself and think may be it makes the fly look buggy. But I also think a couple or so of neat wraps of the right colored thread behind the bead can look good.

What do you think?

I agree with both methods I have used both.

I added the touch of mole dubbing because I needed to cover up too many wraps behind the bead. With more practice and thinner thread, There would've been less to cover up and I could've been confident in skipping the mole.

I haven't found enough cooperative fish to try both versions repeatedly to see if the fish care.

(finally coming back up for air)

Welcome back...

Thanks. Sorry for vanishing so long (I was hoping nobody would notice).

My boss's boss decided to ship the project I'd been working on and that meant lots of extra stuff to wrap up. It's been a very fast paced last twelve months or so but I think I can see daylight coming up.

AlanB Guest

I use this technique on many flies. Even the heads on dry flies get similar treatment. But if I add weight to a bead head I use the thread to colour code the amount of weight.

The way I cover a head is to make the usual whip finish then dub a tiny amount of material on the thread then form a second whip finish with the dubbed thread.

Cheers
    Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

+ Reply to Thread