+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Traditional' Wet Flies

Default 'Traditional' Wet Flies

I was reading someone's comment on another thread and thought it somewhat short-sighted. Or, maybe it's me and I'm being too far-sighted. Anyway, he was talking about the wings on traditional wet flies and said the following:

"Flank feathers is a term that has been used for some reason for wings on a Traditional winged wet. When you cut a segment out of the flank feather it's called a slip. You need a flank feathers that are paired left and rights.
    To me when you use the term traditional winged wet, it means duck or goose quills, Turkey, Guinea Hen, barred Wood Duck, Bronze wood duck or Teal and lastly plain old paired left and right mallard flank."

Now, the term 'traditional' may start in one era for some people, other eras for others and certain places for yet others. The tradition of wet fly usage and patterns here in the US, had its beginnings well before the turn of the 20th century. Regardless, sources I've read included flank feathered wings in the term traditional and that the way they are tied in did not have to be 'slips'. They could be rolled as well.

Allan

tyflier,

Oh, I agree that when traditional wets are mentioned, quill slip wings are the first I think of. Indeed they are probably the most recognized and comprise the vast majority of patterns. My response was simply to question the absolute that traditional wets flies 'must' have wings of quill slips or flank 'slips'.

Allan

Without my having to go to Bergman, isn't the Alexandria a "traditional wet" whose wing is none of the above, being constructed of peacock herl?

I wouldn't swear there are no traditional wet flies w/ flank wings but most of the patterns had quill wings. Many of the old dry fly patterns called for quill wings as well. That is before Mr Wulff came along and changed wings forever. Atlantic salmon patterns are another story as they still use a lot of flank slips in the wings.

------------------
    Ron M

I too am Guilty as charged...I feel the Quill slip wing is becoming a lost art....and for some rightfully so...they are not the easiest to tye...and in this computer age....easy is what most want...I love the look of the old Quill Winged Flies,Both Wet and Dry!

Glad I started with old books with old patterns and got a feel for tying them early on....still some of the kewlest flies to come outta my vise
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

tyflier, RW here,

Flank feather wings are just as traditional as quill segment wings. The Professor and the Grizzly King come to mind. They were created by two Professor brothers from the University of Edinburg in the 1830's and have stood the test of time for over 175 years (still sold in most fly fishing catalogs). The wings are made from mallard flank feathers, as are many other old wets. I don't think you've chosen the right word when you use the word "traditional". Flank feather wings are just as traditional and popular as quill wings, not only from a historical standpoint but even right up to the present. I am a wet fly fisherman first and foremost and I much prefer the flank feather wings over the quill slips. Those are not just opinions, those are facts.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I wanted to chime in last night on this but I was tying flies and gotten tired and felt go to bed was my best option. But now it's morning, Hah! I"m awake. Now as I stated in another post, Traditional wet flies were made with left and right flank feathers/quills/Peacock sword and so on. Ther are some exception to the rules. Flank feathers like Wood Duck, specially wood duck that is used in the creation of Catskill dry flies is first of all hard to find pairs in, and second it can become very expensive in doing so. So for the most part the folded wing on wet flies far as flank feathers was created and used. I am doing the folded method for RW'S Dark Hendrickson wet flies. For the reason I just mentioned. The second reason which applies for some was just laziness. Todays modern tyesrs that you have seen attempted to tie wet flies with flank do not know how to do this at all. Mainly do to lack of information. Tyers like Allan and RW that are very knowledgable knows a lot of history and true stories. These two are exceptions to the rule and are not what I call your normal every day fly tyer. Most of todays fly tyers are not armed with the history or have seen any educatonal or instructional videos on wet fly tying. There are some videos but a lot of the tyers and or shops even know this. Also wet fly tying has been a forgotten art and the industry has pushed it away. These flies as your all aware require practice, patience a some techniques to tie one that is truly pretty.

Second the Alexandria is a good exception to the rule, keep in mind if this fly is tied correctly the wing will be tied with Left and Right peacock sword quill segments. So in my eye it truly does follow the rule of left and right quill segments/flank feathers. Just my two cents worth for this this moment in time.

Andy B

well since I've never had an invite....I'll see if ya still got a spot open as I am just finnishing up my last swap as I write this..and did not want to stop just yet!...

tyflier,

I fully understand what you meant when you described the style of fly you wanted swappers to submit for the swap. It's your swap and you set the theme. As you should. I hope you did not misunderstand what I was trying to say. Actually, my comment was in response to another tier's post. I simply wanted to convey that, while most wet flies that are considered 'traditional' have some type of quill wings or wings from slips of flank feathers, these are not 'absolute' characteristics. There are other feathers and techniques as well.

In Leonard's book, he illustrates 12 wing types. 4 quill slips, a hackle tip, a roll,a spoon,a flat,hair,and 3 misc.

In Sturgis' book, he gives the recipes for 50 wet flies: 28 have quill wings; 15 have other types; 6 have 0 wings; and 1 I couldn'tmake out.

In the illustrations of Bernards flies from 'Treaty', there are several wet flies without quill slip wings.

Again,it all goes back to what someone considers traditional.

Now, as I said, your swap. You described the theme and rules very well. Traditional wet flies using quill wings. Someone else chimed in with an 'absolute' that all traditional wet flies had certain types of wings. It was that comment I disagreed with. Now this may pi** some off, but the wet fly tradition did not start with Ray Bergman.

Allan

Well Stated Allan!...They go back well past what was written for sure...I'd say it'll never be know how long the wet fly has been in existance,Or in what fourms...I just know what appeals most...to mine eye!

To each tyer their start was different..and thus we all hold different asspects dear in our own tying...Which is awesome...It would make for boreing swaps if it were not so!!!...I never said it but the flies you sent us/me in the beginner swap you hosted a while back...are some of the best "Catskill" tied flies I've yet seen!...IMHO...Thanks for the start in swapping it has been nothing but a joy!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

+ Reply to Thread