+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly lips

Default Fly lips

Has anybody tried these new fly lips yet? [url=http://www.flylipps.com:e1217]www.flylipps.com[/url:e1217]

Steve

Hey Flyman,

I've not used these but I've made my own
    for several years. Mostly experimental to
    date. I use thin acrylic label protectors
    and cut and shape it to fit. I can cut it
    with scissors and have laid it on an
    inverted spoon bottom while holding over a
    candle to shape. I have also received
    dremel bugs in swaps where other folks have
    done similar lips. I've even made fly
    weight jitter bugs using this method.*G*
    Warm regards, Jim

Saw John Betts do this 25 years ago. makes em dive.

flyman,

Nice Lures.

Allan

Steve,

Been around for years.

Couple of the catalogs sell comercially made versions.

East to make, though, and most fly fishermen I know that use them make their own so they can control size/shape.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

how would these things cast ??

I'll bet these things would really work well with a spinning rod....hhmmmm...wonder if that's been done????

ive tried it a few times. looks cool in the water. i tried it with a spinning rod once and she spun my line hardcor unlesss i put a swivle on. i like them spinner'd minner'ds too there good in murky water...

I construct Lips on certian patterns out of Hook Boxes the mustad plastic's to be precise..and use the existing contours to my advantage...and they are free with each purchase of hooks I make...Cheap...that is Me !

Also use these on hand carved wooden Flies/Lures I make for use in Bass Flyrodding...Hummm...wonder if theres a swap in that???...slim chance I'd wager

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Mike,

As to the 'how they cast' question...

I gave up on them after finding that thye twist leaders. Badly.

You can control this by going to a heavier tippet (they won't twist, at least the small ones won't) at around 12 pound test. BUT, the thicker diameter of the mono seemed to somewhat defeat the 'diving' properties of the fly and they tended to porpoise on me.

I imagine that if you wanted to spend the time in R&D you could come up with effective and castable flies with diving lips. For something like this to work efectively, you have to make sure it runs straight and won't 'spin' if you speed it up. Doable, but takes some work.

I've had VERY good luck with the all foam bodied 'wiggle bug' type as a bass fly. But the 'separate' lips flies have always seemed to have twisting and 'balance' problems.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread