+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference?

Default What's the difference?

I have proven that a ham-fisted slightly enebriated clutz can tie flies that catch fish . It's just a matter of learning a few techniques. I also know that a few people can carry their tying to another level. What separates the best tiers you know from the rest of us? I suspect that it is precision in applying those techniques combined with making the extra effort to find the best quality materials but I wonder what all of you think.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Fly tying is like anything in life. Some can and some can't. I have taught many people to tie over the years and the worst tiers I have ever taught as a whole are doctor's. Don't ask me why? Maybe it is because they try to do it to fast I do not know but they sure for the most part can not tie good flies. Dosen't mean that the flies they tie will not work they will.

I think the hard thing about tying is getting all of your flies to look the same every time one comes out of your vise. Most of the time it takes just that Time at the vise to learn how to tie a good looking fly

I found out long ago that the first thing when tying for a living you have to do is to catch the fisherman then that fly had best catch the fish. As most people have learned by tying there own flies that does not hold ture all the time. But it sure makes a difference in how many flies you will sell. LOL Ron

Fly tying is nothing special, the best have just taken the time to learn and hone their skills.

Joe Fox

I would have to say are those that take it to "another level" for sure. Now I agree to tie a fly that can catch fish is one things most anyone can learn to do. I have done that and I am no artist for sure and not a professional tier. The guys that make a living tying production fly can crank out a great number of good looking flys fast and thats what they need to do to make a living. What I am impressed with is the folks that creat true pieces of what I would call art. Yes they use rare and exspensive materials. But they also put a tremendous amount of time into tying just one fly. Take a look at the flies tied by Tim Trexler for example. I am told he has put in 18 - 20 hours in creating a single Salmon fly but they are diffently pieces of art.

Bill

RonMT,
    You sure got taht one right. You have to tie flies that wiil catch th fisherman before you tie one to catch the fish. I have been tying for 40 years now and I'm still learning new tricks of th trade.
    streamcaddis..

------------------
    I was fly fishing and fly tying
    before it got trendy

Now I know why my flies look so bad.

Rick

How does a fly tier improve, Practice, Practice, and more Practice. Tie the same pattern (starting with a larger size hook) until you can tie the pattern correctly, so you can tie 5 identical flies.

If you think you cannot learn something new, you will surely fail!

Then move to the next small hook size, and do it again.....and so on!

You can alway cut off the material of the flies that are really terrible.

"A man was walking down a sidewalk in New York City, while carrying a violin case. He stopped a stranger, and asked, "Could you please tell me how to get to Carnage Hall?"

The stranger reply, "Practice!"

~Parnelli

I have been Swapmeister for over 100 Beginning Fly Tiers, and none of them remained Beginners for very long.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 06 January 2006).]

For a "commercial" tyer, the ability to speedily replicate "exactly" the size and appearance of any recipe.
    For a sport tyer, the ability to "think about it" beforehand, then the ability to successfully "experiment" with materials.
    For the "artful" tyer...PATIENCE.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have been tying for over twenty years and even sold a few flies for at least enough money to cover the materials if not a reasonable wage. I know my tying has continued to improve for all of that time though not as quickly as at the beginning. This question was one of the things I thought about during a long and boring shift on a beginners job last night when my usual machine was broken down and I decided to post it. Perhaps what separates The best tiers from the run of the mill ones is a combination of apptitude as Ron suggests with the dedication arising from economic necessity or just desire( maybe both) to become one of the best.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

JC,
    I've often debated the difference between education or skill and talent. To me Talent is something you're given. Skill is something you develop.
    The best fly-tyers (piano players, carpenters, writers, negotiators, etc.) have a good deal of both. They are the ones who had an inherent knack, and developed skills on top of that.
    As an illustration, there are a lot of very skilled musicians. I've personnaly seen several very talented musicians who never learned the skills. Both groups (over-generalization here) are good players.
    The ones who have a talent AND develop skills are the ones at the next level.
    Just one man's opinion. My signature sums up where I stand on it. I'm not great at anything (maybe at being annoying) but there are many things I enjoy anyway.

Lux

------------------
    If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

+ Reply to Thread