+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading Boot Advice

Default Wading Boot Advice

Hi, friends. Time for some new wading boots--I looked pretty funny with rope holding my felt soles on yesterday. I'd love advice from any of you who've tried some of the newer boots.

I really like the idea of AquaStealth soles, but not so sure about adding cleats to them (bad on boats, etc). The Simms Guide boots look nice but have cleats with the rubber. Their L2 boot looks like it might have an alternative called "Simms Convertible Cleat System". Anyone know anything more about that, or have opinions on either of these boots?

I also think the new Korker boots look interesting, but am skeptical about how long the removable sole feature would work well. Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave

Dave,
    I have a pair of SIMMs freestone boots and love them. I have heard several good comments on the rest oh the SIMMs line. As for the convertible cleat system, my understanding is the cleats can screw in to a normal felt sole making them into a cleated sole. I believe the cleats can be removed when necessary and replaced. I am not sure how many times this can be done before the holes get a bit worn, but it is a good alternative to having to buy two pairs of boots. The fly shop in my area has not gotten these in yet, but I will be buying the conversion to try out.
    Eric.

DenverDave,

I have had the LL Bean wading boots with aquastealth soles for 4 seasons now and I love them. I've got one pair with studs to wear on particularly slippery bottoms, and a non studded pair for other streams and when I'll be in a boat.

They are cheaper than the Simms L2's with aquastealth, but I've heard nothing but good tihngs about the simms boots too - I know simms makes quality products.

If you're willing to pay a little less than what simms wants for their boots, you might try the ll bean's. LL Bean also has a satisfaction guarantee - send em back for a refund if you dont like em.

i purchased a pair of chota stl plus wading boots around the first of the year. so far, i like them. they have the option of adding or removing cleats/studs into the soles, so that's a nice feature. they also have the speedlace system for easy on and off.

i've already broken one lace, and the other one is looking a little worn, so i'm curious how i will like them in the long run. time will tell i suppose.

chris

Another vote for the Simms Freestone. If you are going to be doing any hiking, I would recommend the Simms L2 felt. It is much lighter.

You will save money buying a high quality boot because it will last far longer. The Freestone is as durable as they come.

------------------

Chris,

I broke the quick laces on my Chota's and just replaced them with normal round boot laces. I love the boots and its not inconvenient tying them on.

Paul

I'll have to add our (mine and my wife's) vote for Chota's. She has the STL's and really likes them. Very light weight, removable and replaceable studs, good ankle suppport. I have the Citico Creek model and really like them. I've been fly fishing about 40 years and these are the lightest and most comfortable boots I have ever owned. They also have the removable studs.

After 23 years of jumping out of airplanes, my feet are a little oddly shaped (many broken bones). These Chota's are the only boots I have found that fit me well. (The STL's also fit well, but Vicki beat me to them)

We both wade on some slippery rocks and have yet to slip. Great boots.

Ron and Vickie Eagle Elk

Only way to really find good boots is to go down and try on as many as you can find. Different lasts are going to fit your feet differently and that's the only way to find ones that will be comfortable for you. Take your waders and the bulkiest sock combination you will ever wear to the store and try some on. If you go with your summer sock combo they won't work come winter fishing time.

I recently bought some new boots too after using the Simms Guides for a few seasons. Beware of boots that use real leather like these. The support is great and I like the feel of a heavy duty hiking boot but after enough wet/dry cycles the leather will begin to absorb water and dry out (shrink) between trips. Eventually, the toes got so curled you can't get them on without putting them in a bucket of water the night before. You can keep them nice but they take a lot of maintenance. I prefer the ease of synthetics.

So I went down to try on the L2's since I thought they looked nice. Let me say you really need a specific type of foot for those boots. The toe box is really narrow and if your foot isn't just right for them they'll be uncomfortable. Also tried out the Patagonia's and they were nice and comfy but fairly lightweight without a ton of support like the heavier boots.

The ones I settled on were the new Simms River Tek's. Sturdy boot with hefty support and the nice thing were how wide they were. Ample space in them for extra socks while still keeping a good feel when tightened down without the extra layers on.

I'm not sure how good the aquastealth's would be in CO. A lot of slippery rocks in our rivers and most of the fly shops around don't even carry them for that reason. I've found the felt to be better. Adding studs like with the Simms convertible system is just getting some screws and screwing them into the felt. I've found the Simms screws to be somewhat more durable but have used the generic hardware store sheet metal screws too. Been doing that for years with no problems, doesn't tear up the felt on good quality boots. Every once in a while one will pull out and get lost but easily replaced. I don't think there is any reason to pay extra to get ones with premade holes like on the Chota's. Just get ones with regualar felt and screw them in yourself.

My wife has the Chota's and she likes them but they are a softer boot and I don't think have the support of a burlier boot like the Simms Guides. But the tradeoff is weight. Also have a few friends who love the Korkers but I have seen them on a couple occassions have the sole pop out of the boots going up banks and stuff. Go try some on and see what works for you. Good luck, SPB

[This message has been edited by splatte boy (edited 21 March 2005).]

I would like to second what splatte said about avoiding natural leather due to its shrinkage. I have a pair of the last model of the Simms Guide boots and they get smaller every time i put them on. They basically don't even fit with my waders any more. When wearing the thinner guidesocks, I can get them on, but I still have to pour some water over the toes so blood continues to flow in that area.

I like a felt sole boot with studs that don't protrude beyond the felt, but work when needed. I think the studded version of the Simms Freestone fit that description, and I know my Patagonia Beefy Wading Shoes do.

Chotas....most comfy boots out there....period.

J

+ Reply to Thread