+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue Jay Collar

Default Blue Jay Collar

I am tying a Silver Invicta Spider pattern (2 turns blue jay and 2 turns partridge for the collar).
    Does anyone have a good method of tying in blue jay as a collar without the bulk of the centre stem.
    I am stripping one side before I tie it in and this reduces the bulk slighly but as the feathers I am using have broken tips I am tying in further down the feather than I would like to.
    Any Suggestions please ?

Derek,

The Blue Jay hackle stem is generally split with a sharp knife to reduce wrapping bulk.

Some substitue guinea fowl hackle, dyed blue.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Thanks (Again !)
    Hans

Derek & Hans;
    Blue Jay's are protected here in Michigan. Why, I don't know? They are a pest, no song, chase other birds out of the feeders and will empty a feeder in an afternoon (Most of it on the ground!). My cat has collected quite a few feathers but I'm a little leery about using them!!

Blog Entries

Jack,
    The bird used in fly tying is from Europe, it is not the same bird as our bluejays.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

AlanB Guest

I don't doubt you are right Biot Midge but our blue jay is not native to europe but an import. From America!

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I have found dead bluejays. The reason why I was leery about using their beautiful feathers is because of the threat of West Nile Virus. There were cases around here where we live, of dead birds that were tested being infected with that virus so, just to be on the safe side I passed on using them. Some of our friends horses died from West Nile.

Kahuna

Blue Jay used in fly patterns are from the European Blue Jay, the feathers are flight feathers from the joint on the front of the wing, where the wing folds.

You cannot ship capes or feathers across national boundarys, due to the avian virus that is been spreading around the world.

There is currently no worldwide ban on shipping of plumage of non-protected species. There may be local bans -- I know, for example, that the supply of plumage originating in China has pretty much dried up. However, I just received a shipment of feathers from the UK -- including some European jay.

I would be darn careful about what native song birds (other than gamebirds, that is) you use here in the states. They are federally protected and you can get yourself in a world of hurt if you get caught using their feathers, even the ones you find dead or that the cat brings in. And if you do use them, I wouldn't' talk about it or go around bragging about it on a world wide website. There are certain birds like starlings, and I believe English sparrows, that in some states may be considered a nuisance species, but I know that most songbirds are definiely off limits all over the country, especially migratory species.

Later,RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

+ Reply to Thread