+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renzetti vise jaws?

Default Renzetti vise jaws?

Which jaw style do Renzetti owners prefer? I am getting ready to buy a Traveler and would like to know which jaw is preferable, screw type or cam lever.

Bryan

I have the screw jaws on my presentation. I havent had any problesm with them. I havent used the cam so i cant give a good comparison.

I tie in a limited size range so i do nothave to adjust the jaws to accomodate very large hooks and very small hooks. I have it set in the middle and usually tie in the 10-20 range with no problems.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I have cams on both of my Renzetti vises and I love them!

The not-so-secret secret is to use the small fine adjustment screw to set the jaws so they are as parallel as possible. That way it only requires minor pressure to clamp the hook firmly & securely.

I have screw jaws on my traveler and cam jaws on my presentation. The screw jaws work great as atested to by the number of years they've been around but I do believe the cam jaws are nicer - just easier to get proper tension. On the other hand, I'm not rushing out to upgrade the jaws on the traveler.

Both are great products and you'll be happy with whatever you decide on.

ParaHopper

bamboozle hit the nail square on the head...

"The not-so-secret secret is to use the small fine adjustment screw to set the jaws so they are as parallel as possible. That way it only requires minor pressure to clamp the hook firmly & securely."

simply reading and following the directions works wonders. though some folks have issues w/ the size of the screws...

mgj

I have a Traveler with both sets of jaws and a Presentation (my current desk vice)with screws. I prefer the cam, but find the screws work fine, too, though I prefer the larger screw size on the Presentation.

I have the Traveler with the cam and have no problems to report and enjoy using this vise a lot.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have both the screw adjusted jaws and the cam; and prefer the cam jaws.

If you're only buying one vice; I'd recommend the cam jaws.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

I had the cam jaws and liked them pretty well. Until I got my Dyna-king...

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Gather your pennies, spend the extra money, and get the cam. Although the screw works very well, the cam is faster, easier to use, and holds quicker.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

+ Reply to Thread