+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread Control

Default Thread Control

Being somewhat new to fly tying, I have heard many references to "thread control" but I'm not sure what all it entails. Is there a good book or video on the market that explains "thread control"?

Thanks

Quad,

Not sure if there's a specific book but you may find articles about this subject. I believe 'thread control' means more than simply dealing with the tension of the thread. To me it means controlling the thread in relation to the material, the application and the result that you want to achieve.

To start off with, you need to develop a 'feel' for when whatever thread you use will break. You also need to learn to keep constant tension on the thread. By constant tension I do not mean constantly at the breaking point. I mean tight enough so that the material being used is held in place with the fewest number of thread turns. Think of this: Regardless of how tight you make the 2nd, 3rd or 4th layer of thread wraps, the construction will never be tight to the hook if the 1st layer is somewhat loose.

When new tiers start working with hairs, foams, synthetics and other hard materials, the type(s) of threads use, their size and how you apply tension will change. Again, this will depend on the material and the effect you want to achieve. Some threads are perfect for spinning deer hair and yet those same threads may literally tear through foam.

There may be information about thread tension and control under the 'Fly Tying' section to the left. Check it out and good luck.

Allan

the only way to learn thread control is through practice. in addition to allan's notes above, another important aspect of thread control is using the thread to get the material to react the way you want it to.

mgj

As Mikey and Allan said, I feel whats mostly meant of thread control...Is Basicaly learning to make thread torque work for you.

Thats that little bit of magic that can really be seen when you spin deer hair...It can also make the new tyer pull his hair out....lol..Trying to set wings or even tails and get them to properly stay on the hook...The torque of the thread will tend to place things on the opsite side of the hook if not applied in a manner as to use the torque to your advantage....My advise for a through and well explained point of view on this is A.K.Best's Video : Tying Dry Flies, He will really give you a great perspective on this....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bob?
    Have you found the Fly Tying Instruction series here on FAOL? I suspect you haven't.
    Start at the beginning and your questions will be answered. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/:a54e6]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/[/url:a54e6]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Another important aspect of thread control would be self control. Resist your impulse to lay down too much of the stuff! Two wraps of thread is enough to secure almost any material. Also, when you are winding it try to put down a smooth layer. You will be glad you did when you start winding bodies with quills, biots, and things of that nature!

JeremyH

I was taught that thread control is an experience thing and two ways to get there faster is to tie more flies and keep your wrist straight the rest will come with time.

Bob, It's not rocket science...[G]....I couldn't resist.

Welcome to the board you will enjoy.

Duckster,
    Ya beat me on that one...*BG*

Quad....Welcome!

Jeremy.

quadfisher;
    I picked up a stantard "Rite" bobin during the infamous FAOL raid on Cabela's last October (actualy got it at Chris Helm's). I liked so well I got another one. It takes a bit longer to load but has infinite tension adjustment.
    As my tying instructor would say "when winding mind the hook point!!".

+ Reply to Thread