+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D H Thompson Vise Co.

Default D H Thompson Vise Co.

Did some research but no definitive answer. Is the D H Thompson Vise Company still in business?

Last I heard or read - No.

Allan

[url=http://www.dhthompson.com/:45191]http://www.dhthompson.com/[/url:45191]

I think they're still around
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudley, I also saw that they had a website. Called the number they listed on it. Told by long distance operator that there was a technical problem and to call again later. Confusing. If they were completely out of business, one would think that there would be a message stating this. Sad to see all these old US Companies going down the tubes.

ags,

From what I heard Thompson bet the company's future on a brand new vise. It was a dud and the company lost the bet. I hate to see an American company close but isn't that what capitalism is all about?

This is not a knock on Thompson. Among the several vises I have, including a Regal and a Renzetti, the one I prefer to tie on is my Thompson with the midge jaws. I have tied on it for well over 30 years.

Allan

I'm sorry but their Cobra vice ain't nothin' but ugly.
    I've used my Pro model since I up graded from my Herter's around 1980.
    Maybe they made them too good.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

RW here,

I'm still tying on my Thompson Model A that I bought in 1965. When the company went out of business I bought the last one a shop in Greensboro, No Carolina had as a back up in case the old one eventually bit the dust. After 40 years I doubt it will. I'm sure it will outlive me. Don't think I could get use to any other vise.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Thank you all for the info. I wasn't interested in buying anything. Just wanted to know what had happened to them.

Maybe they built too good of a vise?

What I heard was rumor, but...the owner wanted to 'slow down' and the new son-in-law wanted in. He was the force behind the Cobra vise. They spent a ton of money developing and advertising it. It was a dog. Cash flow crashed. Company filed bankruptcy. Another company bought the left-over stock and was selling it off, no, I don't know who.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread