+ Reply to Thread

Thread: turkey feathers

Default turkey feathers

A friend of mine gave me a bag loaded with turkey feathers of the one he shot. These feathers are small in size, a dark brown, and a little shiney. I dont know which kind of feather this is on the turkey, I am thinking the breast possibly? But my question is does anyone know of any good flies that use turkey feathers for material? I am mainly looking for some small nymphs or streamers because as of now I am fishing for erie steelhead, and I could use a few more nymphs so I thought that this might be a good resource of feathers. I am also getting a bulk load of peasant tails...O lucky me

Smallie14;
    You can sub the Turkey for Pheasant and tye a nice PT nymph. I think you actually get a buggier looking nymph. You may want to still use Pheasant barbs for the tail as the Turkey barbs aren't as strong.

The feathers you discribe...are great for the wingcase's on nymph's,legs and beard's on nymph's and wet's alike...also work well for Salmon wets even married wings.....alot of great flies can be tied with such a feather...that shiney irridesience is like peacock...very irresistable to the fishy's....enjoy the exploreing...!!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

You are only limited to the possibilities, by the limits of your imagination!

+ Reply to Thread