+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Cradle

Default Bobbin Cradle

Being new at this fly tying, I was wondering how you use/work with the bobbin cradle. It gets in my way. Can't find anything about. Any help would be appreciated.
    dc

The Bobbin Cradle is for those, who have a rotary vise. Then you would half hitch the thread to the shank of the hook, behind the eye, then you can rotate the vise to lay your dubbing and/or ribbing wraps. It is also great for apply a floss body wraps or tinsel wrap. I also use it for applying the hackle wrap.

(elapse time between posting of question, and answer 5 minutes)

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 21 November 2005).]

So, the cradle is a non-player unless I am going to the rotory function? I have a Griffin Montana Mongoose. I just swung it out of the way, and let the bobbin rest on the desk so that it wouldn't untwist my thread. This fly tying is harder than it looks, they make it look so easy in the video. Practice, I must practice.....
    dc

At least on my vise (Griffin Mongoose) the bobbin cradle can rotate. Whenever I'm not using the cradle, I just loosen the screw at the base of the cradle and rotate it out of the way. That way when I need it, I just have to swing it into place and then tighten the screw.

I dont like them, they tend to get in the way. I know people who use it to apply dubbing or spliting thread but I find it easy to hold the bobbin.

Joe Fox

Alrighty then. I think I'll just loosen that "puppy" up and swing it off to the side for the time being. Thanks for the input.
    dc

DRC,

The bobbin cradle can be a useful tying aid, even for those WITHOUT a rotary vise.

Problem is, most cradles are designed to be mounted on the stem of the vise. These tend to get in the way, won't swing well with the thread in them, etc..

If you use a bobbin cradle mounted in a separate base (I used an old vise clamp), you can position the cradle so it rotates with the hook eye as the axis. This means that if you drape the thread/bobbin in it an then swing it out of the way, the thread length doesn't have to change.

This will allow you to move the thread out of the way for operations where that would be a benefit, but still maintain tension. Doesn't take up space under the hook, so it's out of the way.

A.K.Best describes such a cradle and it's use in his great book, Production Fly Tying.

After constructing one and figuring out how to use it, I could no longer tie efficiently without it.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

drc: if you let the bobbin rest on the table you won't have tight wraps on the hook - you need the weight of the bobbin to keep the thread tight and reduce the number of wraps (bulk)to hold material. If you are rotating a rotary vise you MUST use the cradle or you will inadvertently add more thread wraps as you rotate to wrap hackle or other material. Check this out [url=http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/rotate/techniques.php:0988c]http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/rotate/techniques.php[/url:0988c]

DRC-- There should be a 3/8 grommet with your vise. All Griffins with a cradle comes with the grommet that you put on the vise post first then the cradle. This way you just let it swing out to use and back out of the way when not needed. Other brands sometime come with a ring with set screw that it rest on. Some just let it free on the pedestal base. Never tighten it to the post. Like one said you half hitch at the eye, rest the thread on the the cradle and wrap material.
    You mentioned resting the bobbin on the table,leave it hange from the hook and then spin your bobbin before tying again if you feel it has as you said untwisted.

------------------

Bill

Doesn't an automatic bobbin greatly enhance cradle useage?
    .....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread