+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wets and Hook sizes

Default Wets and Hook sizes

O.K. with so many of you guys into wet flies, this should be a breeze.

I'm talking winged wets here as opposed to Soft Hackle Wets.

I've tied up soooo many, but most of my tying is usually in the smaller sizes. For the most part size 12 and smaller, down to a size 18 or so.

I remember a post by Andy B. a while ago where Andy mentioned tying traditional winged wets in, what I thought was a very large size. Don't remember how big.

Andy, or any other Wet Fly guy or gal reading for that matter.
    What I want to know is just how large to go. I realize I can go as large as I like, but not so sure a trout will cosy up to a 2/0 caohman wet. Within reason, an effective fishable wet fly, what do you guys tie at the large end of the scale, 8, 6? Dare I say larger?

Time to start up the tying vise once again.
    -Yaf
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

You're right, there really are a suprising number of us!

My bread and butter is usually the #10 to #18 size range. I go bigger for early and late season bass all the time, but rarely go lower. I just haven't seen a lot of them in the local fly shops, so I figure there's a reason. I should probably experiment though, because my #18 soft-hackles and the few #20s I tie do really well on the smallest streams I fish.

Yep. I tie traditional wets mostly in sizes 8, 10, and 12. I use the 8s and 10s more for bream fishing. The 12s I like to use on Georgia wild trout.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Yaffle,

While I typically don't fish 'traditional' wet flies all that frequently, I do nonetheless fish them on occassion. I believe the size wets that Andy mentioned were size 6. That is also about the best size for display flies.

Allan

Hi Yaffle:

I am just getting back into the forums and seen this post. Far as tying and fishing Taditional winged wet flies let me provide you some input.

SHOW FLIES:

Shows Flies are all tied on Mustad 3399 Size 6 hooks. The reason for this is this hook has a deeper sproat bend then it's modern counter part the Mustad 3906. The 3399 hook is the closest thing to the hook that Bergman used that are pictured in Ray's book Trout.

Fishing Flies:

Wet flies that I tie to fish with are tied on the Mustad 3906. Why, because the Mustad 3399 is not as strong of a hook and when debarbing can at times break. Also seen them break on a good rock snag as well. Now let's talk about sizes to fish these Traditional winged wets. I fish mainly with size 6 and 8. Rarely do I need to go smaller. When needing to go smaller I will not go further than a size 12. So if a size 10 does not do the trick and a size 12 will. Rarely have I ever had the need to fish wet fly's with a size 10 or 12. Now one last differance that I do to my Traditional winged wets that I fish with, instead of tying in a beard, I tye in full collar like a soft hackle. I use a nice Whiting Hen Cape in the color needed that the pattern calls for. I have been very sucessful with size 6 & 8 hook sizes. Like I said previously there are times I do need to drop down a tad smaller and a size 10 or 12 is the limit. For the past two years in the Catskills, New Jersey and PA I have caught fish from 23 inches down to 4 inches. It is quie a site to see a 4 inch rainbow that has attempted to eat a size 6 hook. I do smash down all the barbs on my fishing flies. I know that some people here will argue that a size 6 or 8 is to big and will not catch fish. My Mentor Don Bastian knows that these size flies work great and so do I. Size 14 and below to me is just not needed. Just my two cents worth.

Andy B

[This message has been edited by Andy B (edited 28 October 2005).]

Size 12's & 14's are the standard size I use
    on the classic wets !!!!!

Sorry forgot to mention that my 3rd annual wet fly swap is under way with only seven slots left open. Any wet fly tyers who would like to join now is the time.

Andy B

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies!

This is the information I was looking for.

Andy, I'll be tying them larger this coming winter, as big as size 6.

I have fished more soft hackles than winged wets and have 1/2 of a fly box just for them. Maybe now, I'll make the other half all Traditional Wet Flies instead of Nymphs. I'll have to leave a little room for P.T.'s and H.E.'s though.

-Yaf

[This message has been edited by Yaffle (edited 28 October 2005).]
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

Yaffle,

You might want to check this fly and hook size chart as well:
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/hooksizetype.html:39fd7]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/hooksizetype.html[/url:39fd7]

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

Hi Richard,

Another Long Time No See. That chart is great. Looks like I've been tying the proper sizes ( or at least the most popular) for my wet flies. Almost 99 percent of the time, I tie my wets on a size 10 or 12, and very occasionally a 14. I think Andy started tying the size 6's and 8's, in particular, because of being such a Bergman fan, and, they probably make a better show fly. But when I first met him, I thought his flies were a little large for general pupose fishing. He may disagree, but I still think a size 6 is a little large for your average stream trout.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 28 October 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

+ Reply to Thread