+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy that dream rod? Pockets empty?

1. Default Want to buy that dream rod? Pockets empty?

A little tip, though Im sure its more well known, but when I buy a new rod(Usually 1-2 a year) I do it entirely with change.

1) Get a shoebox and every time you empty your pockets dump the loose change into it.

2) Wait a few months till the box is near difficult to move on your own without the aid of a dolley.

3) Count and wrap and take to bank.

If you dont like counting and wrapping it, well you can always invest in a small business model change sorter. Semi-Cheap and very efficient.

I am by no means a rich person, and am just like anyone else always trying to make ends meet, but I often find myself ending up with a higher end rod when I cash in.

I also collect all my loose change, but in a Folger's can. Around 3/4 full is worth about $400. And my bank will count it for free. One more and I can get that Sage TCR....yeah right.

I guess this is sort of like counting jelly beans in a jar but...

...if a 3/4 full can of Folger's is worth about $400, what's a 1/3 full water cooler jug worth 'cause that's what I got sittin' in my joint as a change collector. I was figuring to fill it before I cash it in.

been doing the water jug thing for close to 30 years........got 5 of them full and another 1/2 way wonder what I have in change I am afraid to move them need a dolly to do it, the glass is still holding tho, never gave it a thought untill you mention the water jug........going to make a great winter project cause I am not going to do it now cause spring has sprung!!!!

Frogpoop:

First of all - fabulous name.

Second - get that stuff in the bank. Money doubles every 7 years or something like that. Assume you have $500 bucks in one. After 30 years in the jug it is still woth $500 bucks. After 30 years in the bank it is over $8,000. That's about 13 of them there TCR's. I'll bet you could also buy Gierach's uncle's Ambler and still have $7,800 left over.

prolly should ......it is just one of those things out of site out of mind.....just looked in the basement and they are still there plus the one in the bedroom....sure adds up quick.......ohh thanks long story on the name

[This message has been edited by Frogpoop (edited 24 March 2005).]

For years I put away the coins in water jugs. I was going to use the money for a nice week of guided fishing. While my wife was home on maturnity leave, she passed the time away while the baby napped by wrapping up the coins. It totaled over $1,000! She took all the wrapped coins to the bank and opened a savings account for our son. You can't argue with that? So now I save my pocket change and may be in about 7 years I can take that guided fishing trip with my son at my side.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

we use one of them plastic jugs from an office watercooler. havent yet gotten it full. something always seems to come up, and we cash in. we did manage to get close once, but we decided to use it for savings accounts for our 2 daughters. started 'em with about $300 each. ones 6 the other is 8 months. by the time theyre ready for 'em, should be a decent chunk-o-change.

We BUSTED a glass water bottle once, filling it with coins. The plastic ones sound better. Now it is a 10gal milk can that is about 3/4 full.
    Hmmmm......Frogpoop.....I LIKE it!
    ...lee s.

Works real well up to the point where my wife looks at the collection and thinks I am being lazy again. SO she wraps it up, takes it to the bank, then spends it on herself. So much for that!
    Eric.

+ Reply to Thread