+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There was a post on here about the jaws/Holding power ,

Default There was a post on here about the jaws/Holding power ,

Or Lack of it, In the newer Dyna-King Supreme vise....anyone know where it was...and how I can view it again...not even sure it was on this preticular board...and I've searched them all........Please help if possibly......I had asked a few q's proor to moving and did'nt get back online as soon as I'd hoped to....Ty All,

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Surely it is a whole package.

On waters in the UK, a dainty dry fly that matches the rise works well. On some waters nymphs or northern spiders are the best catching flies. I guess most fly tiers tie mostly whatever works for them.

Some of us also like to be creative and tie flies and patterns that will probably never get wet just so we can say we can!!

As far as rods, reels are concerned, I suppose its a whole package. They best tied fly, which perfectly imitates the present hatch will only catch fish if it is presented correctly and most realisticaly. A rod which enables you to cast well will achieve this better.

However that all said, I have to say that I do not understand the high cost of modern fly reels. I was brought up to believe that a fly reel was only there as a tool to hold your line neatly, and to balance your rod. Lots of fishermen don't even use a reel when playing a fish.

So why then do fly reels cost many hundreds of pounds now, when you can buy a perfectly good one for ten or twenty pounds??
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

I guess we all were taught differently. I was always under the delusion that one should try to get the fish on the reel as soon as possible, to avoid the inevitable line tangles and lines getting caught on things and the fish breaking off. If the fish isn't on the reel, your expensive drag is meaningless as well. But I've honestly never really known how to set my drag anyway, so there you are.
    Eric

Bill, In answer to your question, this may be the thread you are looking for:
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/005092.html:c198a]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/005092.html[/url:c198a]

It seems your signature has attracted more attention than the question. It is a bit long.

------------------
    Joe

Hey Folks,

I'm just the opposite here in my
    fishery. I very rarely put a fish on the
    reel unless it is a trophy sized fish.
    Fishing entirely from a boat, and moving
    around in cover, my distances vary greatly
    from one cast to the next. I find it easier
    to strip line at my feet and use what I
    need. If you read my article on bream this
    week, you know that I'm not always very
    successful in line management.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

I do hear what you are saying, but I still go back to one of my original points, which is that it depends from where you are fishing and what for. I am sure you guys in the US fish for differing quarry. In my own streams here banks are kept tidy for fishermen. I suppose on some of the more difficult rivers yes line tangle could be a problem.

I still do not see what a reel of ?250 has to offer over a reel priced at ?20. Fly reels are just plain and simple centre pin reels, with little internal workings apart from the drag and they all have them. I appreciate the precision machining but am not sure of its use except for looks. So am still not swayed from my original opinions..

I have actually just realised that I am indeed answering Bill's signature here!!! hehehe..... serves him right!!!! He must now tell us the correct answer as a punishment!!
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Nope....this post was about the Dyna-Kings that are pretty much crap in a box,maybe it was just a few that slipped through....but the one I got a few months ago will not hold a hook from moving under normal thread tension to save it's sole.....There was a lady from DK who helped another member with this same prob involving the DK Supreme vise.....I had left a message prior to my move and was hoping to see if there were any replies....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

That post was deleted,it started getting ugly,and some people with high opinions of themselves got to arguing,something about the owners of DK vises not knowing how to tye,or put a hook in a pair of jaws,and the next time I logged on,it was gone.
    I was a little dissapointed,because I was one of the guys with a vise that doesnt hold hooks either,and after showing it to some[2]professional tyers,they agreed,and further reinforced my belief that I had a vise that doesnt hold hooks.I was amazed how a simple question about a vises inability to hold a hook properly could cause such a rash of accusations and name calling,idiot,I think it was,and I am equally surprised at how your initial question went unanswered.
    This site has some good topics,but I found if you dont like DK vises,your better off not asking about them on here,cause they just delete the post anyway. CJ

[This message has been edited by catskilljohn (edited 30 October 2005).]

Jim Slattery Guest

Hi JC,
    I think the post Bill is refering to was started by ashbourne (Joe Fox) , which I believe Joe deleted although he may now wished he hadn't.
    Take care,
    Jim

Thank you Catskilljohn,,& Jim Slattery,,,

It was ashbourne(Joe Fox)....I needed my memory jogged...now was the Lady rep's name Kathy..?...Cause thats what keeps popp'in into my head as I rack it for info...can't remember her username either.....although it was a very simple one...a ladies name...but not the name she went by when talking with Joe...

I want it clear that my intent is not...nore ever was it to take anything away from D-K,as I have heard great things of their Customer service,Hav'nt had it yet....first hand...but...I've seen the ads...and heard their prasies sung many, Many times over the years....and wished and hoped to one day own ,One of these vises....laid out the 300 bucks with confidance and swagger I did....I just want my vise to work as those that I've heard so much of.....I'll gladly layout the cash for a new midge jaw.....but I get no satifaction whenever I try and get in touch with the company it's self...and I've tried a few times at this....even sent Cdedit Card info and such info to obtain a new midgejaw..in hopes this would rectify the vises usefulness...

I know I can not afford a 300 dollar paperweight....and thats what I have now...

And I knew JC did not remove the post...but if it did indeed turn ugly in that way...I'd not blame him if he had....as I said...there is no ill toward DK on my part..I know they will help me....if I can get ahold of the right person....

Hope you get yours straightened out to,CJ...Thanks again for answering my q...atleast I can now stop racking my brain as to where the post got to...

Joe/Ashbourne...If you read this..could you please direct me to that helpful DK Rep, Please......Thanks all

------------------

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 31 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 31 October 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread