+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Gill Flies

Default Blue Gill Flies

What flies do you feel are the top Blue Gill Flies? I understande that no fly(or flies)will always work at all types of water. I am just after the basic flies.

Thanks for your time,
    genben

------------------
    I rather go fishing than to work and yet to go fishing I must go to work!

I usually find myself using a hairs ear wet fly or nymph, tellico or grey hackle peacock for sunken applications. That is most of the time. If I want a floating pattern I will tend toward one of the foam body flies in black or yellow. I like sizes 8 to12. Check out the FAOL Fly Tying Archives.

We have been doing very well recently here in Southern IL. A few nice crappies along with the gills make it more interesting.

GOOD LUCK! gerry l

If you look in the panfish archives you will fid a dozen of my favorites. Pictures and patterns.

"Ricks Favorite Bluegill Flies"

Rick

Blog Entries

About five years ago I tied on an olive bugger, and have yet to change. Well, except every hundred fish or so, when it finally falls apart.

Hey Genben,

I generally do best when using midges,
    scuds and nymphs. These comprise a large
    percentage of the bluegills natural fodder.
    Warm regards, Jim

For top Gill flies, the list is longer than my arm. Most basic trout flies should do the job on Gills since their diets seem similar. But for basic Gill flies, I'll go with Jim Hatch's suggested menu and also add wet flies and small surface flies like some dry flies, poppers, pushers, and spongy spiders. I really like that topwater action better than subsurface when the bream and Bass are in the mood .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Here are some ideas for Bluegill flies. These were from the Go-To-Bluegill swap.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000485.html:a066c]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000485.html[/url:a066c]

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

anything with a white wing works well for me, especially this time of year. lately they haven't been able to resist a green trude, and I've been lading some big boys on it as well.

mgj

A million years ago in an attempt to come up with a imitation for a red manure worm that ended up in a stream I fished; I came up with a fantastic bluegill fly, (for me at least).

In the days before vinyl ribbing I died some violin bow hair, (horse hair), red. I then wrapped the dyed red hair on a regular wet fly hook I painted white to contrast the color of the red horsehair.

The result was a fly that could easily be done today with red vinyl ribbing wrapped over a bare hook or with an under-wrap of white thread. Or you could do a red Ultra Wire version.

I don't know why but this red fly has been a killer for me on gills.

The trout hated it .

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

By far and away, the best fly I have tied for bluegills and other panfish is listed on this website in the fly archives. It is called the Black Widow, and since I started using it, it has out-fished foam spiders, poppers and even works better than live worms! It's unreal! Try it in a size 8 or 10, and hang on!

+ Reply to Thread