+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Renzetti Traveler ?

Default Renzetti Traveler ?

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new vice, my Thompson is 16 years old now. I am trying to decide between a Saltwater traveler and a regular traveler. I tie saltwater flies in the range from 10 to 3/0 3X strong hooks. This range is below the published lower range of the S.W. traveler and I think the 3x strong 3/0 would be to much for the regular traveler. Anyone using the Saltwater traveler that can give some input on the vices lower hook size handling qualities? I have not been able to find one localy to test it myself. Many thanks, Jack

I have to agree with JC here. I feel that the regular Traveler isn't designed for heavy-duty use. I've tried spinning deer hair on one, and it left much to be desired, IMHO. Believe it or not, my Danvise is much sturdier, but if I'm doing something really heavy-duty, I go to my Regal.

Hi Jack,
    I have a Renz. traveler regular but I added a Clouser arm for it and put the regular jaws on the Clouser arm. It works fine. I tie on hooks 2/0 - 4 and they hold very well. I have given some thought to getting a saltwater but it just hasn't been a priority as yet.

I have a Saltwater Traveller.

I was in the same spot you are now Jack about 7 years ago. My original vise flew apart one evening, about a week before leaving to goto Toronto on a course. Well, I decided that when I was there, I would go vise hunting. Headed over to a fly shop where they had Traveller, Saltwater Traveller, Baracuda, etc. and the guy there let me tie on them for an hour or so to get the feel of them. Well, to make a long story short, because I tie Atlantic Salmon flies in the #12 - 3/0 size, I chose the Saltwater. It performed better when I was testing that the regular traveller. Now, if you are tying smaller than #10 or #12 consistently, then you may want to look at another vise to better handle that range.

Overall, I love my Saltwater, it performs well.

Dwight

Jack S

I have the salt water and I love it. I am thinking of a new one but this one would be the clouser style. I have big fat hands and I feel like sometimes I am all tied in knots trying to get everything in the right place.
    Make sure you read the website before you buy your vise. YOU must not use the cam if you want to change it back in forth to the clouser arm. (my problem) and a new head is almost 1/2 the price of the new vise.

I tie more clousers than all my other flies combined. Maybe I am in a rut. <grin>

Harold

I have a Renzetti Traveler. I have two heads for the vise, a regular, and a tube.
    Both are interchangeable.

Check with Renzetti, about the availability, interchangeability of the heads, for their vises. You might save some money not having to buy two compete vise setups.

Thanks all for your input. Jack

+ Reply to Thread