+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting Flies for Display

Default Mounting Flies for Display

I have a collection of fully dressed salmon flies I want to mount for display. I've used small corks on other flies in the past and am looking for something a little "classier" for this display. They will be mounting is an anitque oval "bubble glass" frame so I have little room to play with. Any suggestions?

Cliff

cnigh,

If you can lay your hands on the Summer issue of Fly Tyer magazine, there is an extensive article on mounting flies for display. Best ideas I've seen.

REE

Thanks. That's one of the problems with having too many (is there such a thing) fly fishing magazines.....I looked right past that article. You're correct....it covers just about all I need to know. Thanks again.

Cliff

AlanB Guest

Here is one idea for you.

Get some long glass bead from a craft store. I use 1/2" ones in a pearl finish.
    Make a small hole in the mount. Pass some fine nylon (6 or 7 X) through the hole in the mount through the bead then back through the beadand the mount. Slip the hook through the loop you have created and pull tight behind the frame. Use some strong adhesive tape to hold everything in place. Just about the classiest looking way I have found yet.

Cheers
    Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

+ Reply to Thread