+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvesting Coq de Leon feathers - a pictoral report

Default Harvesting Coq de Leon feathers - a pictoral report

Interest was expressed for me to share some images of the Coq de Leon feather plucking I witnessed during a visit to Leon in Spain during the past summer.

The harvesting of these feathers traditionally is from live roosters, and can be repeated as and when the feathers have grown back.

The feathers in question are situated between the 'shoulders' of the rooster, so they are neither cape nor saddle.

The rooster is introduced to the people watching. Please note there is no sign of any panic. The bird is clear eyed, very alert, but also very calm and patient all through the process. This, more than anything else, impressed and surprised me.

A start is made. Each pull removes three or four feathers.

Reaching the end of the plucking operation. The bare patch is perhaps 2"x4".

The spoils. The traditional commercial presentation is to make clusters of twelve feathers, tied or stapled together.

Some olive oil is gently rubbed onto and into the skin, heading off irritation and possible risk of infection.

A close-up of the oiled bare patch. Now the wait is for the feathers to regrow, and the next session.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Wow, Thanks for sharing that Hans. I never would have imagined that you could safley pluck a bird in such a mannor. Do birds ever die from this? It seems a bit brutal.

Me being as "follically challenged" as I am... I hope I spelled that right... it hurts for me to even look at this. Great pictures though.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Wow,I didnt think that was legal! In the US anyway.If my memory serves me,it was the Dettes that were in quite a bit of trouble with the animal rights people for doing that very same thing,but with neck hackle.Thanks for the photos,time to sneak into the chicken coop down the street!!!! CJ

Thanks for showing us the pictures, Hans. It's hard to fault a process such as this when the handler is showing particular care and respect for the bird. It would seem to me that if any pain was involved, the bird would not sit still for the next yank. And, it's gratifying to know that mortality is not a prerequisite in order to obtain some excellent fly tying material. Do you think that most bird operations in Spain handle their birds in this same manner?
    Steve Schalla

Thanks Hans,

Very humane as compared to the way
    some growers harvest feathers.

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Thanks for those. I can now see where my little bundles of feathers have come.

I sit on the fence as far as cruelty is concerned! As a bird watcher and lover, this appears a bit brutal!! I don't know..
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Mick,

The most astonishing part of witnessing/recording this was the calmness of the bird throughout it all. I have seen how brutal roosters can act, but this rooster was alert, clear-eyed, looking around, but not twitching a muscle. Was calm before, during, and after. Amazing, and I would not have believed it if I had not been there myself

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Thanks for documenting that process. Very interesting. Amazing!

Rich

Thanks for the enlightening photos.

I have question though. If the feathers come from the "shoulders" and are neither part of the cape or saddle, why is it that whiting are selling coq de leon capes and saddles. Are they only different from regular capes and saddles in colour or are they different in characteristics (i.e. stiffness).

Bob

+ Reply to Thread