+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The most important Two Things To Learn in Fly Tying ?

ok, in the spirit of Ron's most recent request, and as a rank beginner tyer this past year:

1. find a source of simple fly patterns with good images and clear explanations and tie those patterns first on a hook that is big, like a #10 for a dry or a nymph, and then in the same setting tie it on a #12 and a #14 and maybe even a #16 and then, when you've gotten to a reasonable size, sit there until you tie at least four of them.

2. join fly swaps and hang out with other tyers and have fun talking with them about the relative merits of snowshoe hare and arctic fox. you can do this in person or online or, if you're as lucky as I am, both.

... Diane

------------------
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Haven't read the previous 60+ posts but I'll offer these two:
    1. The ability to observe
    2. Learning materials and how they can be used.

'Most' everything else is technique.

My $0.02

Allan

3. Default

Although it might have already been said it could be stated once more, " it takes the same amount of time to produce a good tie as a bad one" and one more observation.

You can sit at home and think that your flies are of a much poorer quality than the one's at the flyshop until you get out of your chair and go and examine some flies in the bins. You might be pleasantly surprised at your findings.

1. Enjoy it
    2. Experiment

Here is one for you. Buy flies and copy them if they are tied well. It gives you something to look at. Just make sure it is tied well by asking.
    I have many hundreds of flies that I got in that same way or that were sent for me to copy for an order. It helps to see what the fly should look like when finished. That is also how I obtained a lot of the flies from well know tiers. It was not to collect them it was to use them as samples. I must say that I wish I had some of them back as I used them to fish with. My Bad. Ron

Blog Entries

1) Try hard, practice, be patient and...
    2) You WILL get better.

+ Reply to Thread