+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What HackleGauge do you use?

1. Default What HackleGauge do you use?

Al's commentary in another thread open the door for this one.

What Hackle Gauge do you use and why?

I personally chose the Al Troth model called a HACKLEMASTER.

I liked the compact nature of the device. I have the ability due to the design of the backing on the gauge to fit it into the jaws of a vise and to sort through a neck sizing hackle while placing into neat compartment trays according to size.

I like the background color of the gauge which itself is white therefore making the visual detection of where the fibers "tip" on the gauge easier detectable by my own eyes.

Furthermore, the hackle gauge measures hackles which I would use for my tying purposes from a size 4 down to a 24.

I also chose this style for the fact after I owned one that slipped over the vise stem and supposedly swung out of the way when not needed, it seemed after staring at it while looking down, for whatever time it took to pluck and size a neck, that I developed a stiff neck.

I eyeball it.
    works like a charm.

mgj

Rky,

I'm with mikey. If you haven't 'pre-sorted' by size, just bend the hackle while on the neck. You can also just bend the quill of the hackle across the hook shank and see the full length of the barbs.

Allan

I agree with Mikey !!!!!
    Over the years you get used to knowing what hackle feather to pluck for what size fly you want. Otherwise, may I suggest using Whiteing 100's. They come in packs according to hook size, & are superior (God what I would have done with this genetic stuff in the old days......even though ya could get some pretty darn good Necks for a reasonable price if you kept your eyes open) if you are tying a lot of one pattern in the same size !!!

5. Default

JML, you bring up a point about 100's that I would like to gain some commentary on. Whiting obviously has a person(s) measure the stuff before packaging.

What kind of gauge or instrument does Whiting Farms use to measure their hackle before packaging?

If they use a different gauge, isn't there the possibility that upon purchasing a pack of 100's that their requirments and your requirements won't match?

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that a guy or gal can walk into a flyshop and purchase a varied amount of hackle in colors and size ranges to suit one's needs verses buying a neck and having a portion of which one might not utilize in their own tying.

[This message has been edited by RkyMtnGuy (edited 27 September 2005).]

Griffin "Hook and Hackle Gauge"

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

I currently use the Metz hackle gauge. It's made of aluminum with anodized markings for a lifetime of use but the biggest plus is it sits on the vise stem on an angle which makes using it 100 times easier to use.

BUT Whiting has a new gauge coming out that also sits on an angle, has both light and dark size markings so you can see light hackle and dark hackles easily AND it's available in three colors.

As soon as I find one I'm buying it.

I use my gauge as a guide since one tier's size 16 hackle is someone else's size 14 depending on the proportions you prefer. One thing I don't do is choose my hackles based on what the package says. Fiber length varies within a package and along the length of a Whiting 100 pack saddle so I guess first, measure second and choose based on what I'm tying and the hackle length I want.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 27 September 2005).]

I must have 10 different guages on my desk someplace. I can tell real close just by looking. You do it enough and you get good at it. If I had to choose a guage I would use the Dan Bailey guage. You can't buy one it is just a white business card that they use to make up for there tiers. It has lines on it and the hooks size next to the line. All you do is to slip it into the hackle barbs to the stim and read it. You do not have to bend the hackle or anything and it works fast and well. The best part is that you do not have to wrap the hackle around anything to have it work for you. That is a waste of time when time counts. If new at tying then a wrap guage is a great thing to have on hand because it will teach you the right sizes.
    Like I said in an earlier post I use Whiting Saddles for most of my tying now so I know what sizes they are when I buy them. Kinda makes it easy on the old eyes. Ron

RkyMtnGuy,

I do not usually use a hackle gauge, but if I have to recommend one today it would be the soon-to-hit-your-flyshop Whiting hackle gauge. I have been handling some of the prototypes and it is really excellent. It incorporates a number of very ingenious features, missing from what has been and is available today. Worth the wait.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

RMG......eyeballing gets it close enough for me.....I will gauge the length I need for a parachute off the post and body of the fly.
    I reccomend anyone buying Whiting 100s, or any other "pack", to take a hackle gauge you trust and measure them for yourself.....I have found wide variations in the sizes from one pack to another......not good if you are tying Adams or something else with two different color hackles. I found this out from experience!....Jason

+ Reply to Thread