+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mustad Hooks: Standard vs. Signature

Has anyone used the Mustad SL53U BL Salmon hooks and can anyone tell me where I can buy them?

Bill

[This message has been edited by wsbailey (edited 24 September 2005).]

Gary-- I'll step in for Jeff, although he's the authority, and I'm only the guy with the catalog. The hooks are built with "exact proportional consistency" according to the book. Since one of the measures in the Signature series is wire diameter, I'd say that yes, the wire does change diameter by hook size if it's supposed to. In other words, the wire in a standard diameter #18 will be of larger diameter than a standard wire #20.

As for the new Mustad salmon hooks, I've got some but haven't used them yet. That day is fast approaching, though. They're everything the Signature line of hooks promises...nice tapered eye, sharp point-- a good looking hook.

As you can tell, I like the Signature hooks...as much as I like the new Partridge hooks. And I'll admit it-- I'm biased. I've been very impressed by both brands and see little need to go elsewhere.

Keith

I've been FF'ing for several years, since about 1960 or thereabouts, and few things impress me, among those are Mustad hooks, Dorber rods, and my wife....*G*

The SL53U BL is an awesome hook, as are all of he Signature series hooks I have used. I have to get meself some more. But you know, I still use the Classics a ton with no issues.

You guys really need to look into the Partridge Flashpoints also...some advanced hookpoint technology in our midts, especially for the lovers of manufactured barbless hooks.

Keith..I have a catalog too !

I have thoroughly searched the internet and I still can't find a supplier for the Mustad SL53U BL Salmon hooks. Any Suggestions? Bill

[This message has been edited by wsbailey (edited 25 September 2005).]

Hello Gary

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I finally managed to get out of the office and chase some Steelhead and Chinook for a change Yup, the arms are sore, thank you very much.

The answer is YES, the wire diameter is one of the proportional elements within the series. THe others are tying length and hook gap. THe wire diameter will change accordingly as you go up or down in size.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Hello Bill
    I'm not sure who off hand is stocking the SL53U BL BUT I can promise you that Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies can take care of you on those. IF you don't have it, his number is 800-579-5549 or 419-843-2106.

I have also asked the Mustad rep for your area to let me know if he has any dealers close to you as well.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

8. Default

Peter,

Maybe Dr. Fish will do a video showing you the proper procedure of opening a box of Mustad Signature Hooks and load it onto the Mustad website for easy reference before each tying session!

<VeryBigGrin>

All kidding aside, I've never really had a problem opening them.

Another plus to the containers is that you can easily stash them in a tying kit without fear of them opening on their own.

[This message has been edited by RkyMtnGuy (edited 26 September 2005).]

Dr. Fish,
    At the risk of being in the dumb question category...

If the wire size gets proportionately lighter as the hook gets smaller does the hook become more likely to bend?

Thanks Keith and Jeff for your replies regarding wire size of the various hook sizes. Maybe I'm just overly anal retentive, but I like everything to be in the proper proportions.

I'll be trying the Signature line soon.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net/forum:22de3]Warmwater Angler[/url:22de3].

+ Reply to Thread