+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye old friend....

Default Goodbye old friend....

Friends,

I knew it was going to happen some day but I hoped it wouldn't be so soon. I just returned from the vet where I had my old pal Jet put to sleep. He was nearly fourteen years old (ancient for a Lab) and has enjoyed good health all his life. But late yesterday afternoon Jet lost his ability to walk. The vet said it was likely a stroke.

I couldn't bear to watch him try to get up and not be able to keep his balance, then look at me as if to say, "What's up with this?" I stayed in the family room with him last night because evey time I left the room he'd struggle to get up and try to follow me. Now that the deed has been done and I know he's in a better place, it still breaks my heart to have lost him.

Thanks, friends, for giving me the opportunity to gain some closure by getting this off my chest.

Will

Will

My heart aches along with you. Next to my wife, our black lab Molly is the love of my life. Jet's in a better place, but will never be that far away from you.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Greyfox,

If you haven't go to a recent similar thread and you will find camaraderie and some very meaningful quotes.

My thoughts are with you and the loss of your good friend. My last lab has been gone for over a year now. I still miss her. The joys that they provide to us day in and day out are often taken for granted until they are gone. The same for all of the other blessings that God gives us. Our health, family, friends and our faithful hairy pals. Let's vow to enjoy them all and to be a good friend.

May God bless us all.
    xfc

We get so attached to our dogs, these loyal, at-the-ready beings. Take care.

greyfox,

Lost my best friend earlier this month. Posted a thread on March 10. The good folks here helped me get throught the first part of the hard times. My heart is with you and I hope you get the same comfort here that I did.

Hi,

We lost our Kodiak a year ago this week, and so completely understand how you feel.

Best thoughts,
    Kat

greyfox,
    I feel your loss I'm walking in your shoes.
    My English Setter is rapidly loosing her legs and the end is very soon. I watch her fall while hunting tweety birds in the yard and struggle to get on her feet and it brings tears. I wish that I could make it better but I know that I can't turn back time. All that I can do is thank her for the good times we had together and hope that I can recognize when all of Sally's dignity is gone and be strong enough to stop her suffering.

------------------
    Don

It hasn't been but 5 weeks ago we had to do the same with Max...our thoughts are with you.

greyfox

i lost my yellow labrador (aka mickey or the man) about 8 months ago very unexpectedly. he was 6 yo at the time. my wife and i rescued him when he was 2. he was almost dead from malnutrition and bneglect when we found him. next to my wife, he was my closest friend - hiking and fishing companion, running partner, or simply going for rides in the truck and playing fetch, he did it all with me. since we don't have children, he was really like our first child. our chocolate labrador, maggie, is our second child.

i cried like a baby the day it happened. for several weeks afterward, i would think about him, expect him to greet me when i got home from work, or just see his collar and leash hanging in the garage, and i would have to fight back tears, or sometimes just let them come. as a matter of fact, it's hard to type this right now without becoming a bit teary eyed.

so to sum it all up, i know exactly what you're going through right now. it's very hard to lose someone so near to you, but it will get better with time. for me, it really helped to think about all the times i gave him a bone, or played fetch with him, or just took him on a walk, and made his tail wag. i know that he led a good life, as i'm sure your labrador did, and that made it a bit easier.

hang in there. times will get easier eventually.

chris

+ Reply to Thread