+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hackle

Default hackle

Were exactly does this stuff come from, a chicken? because i only hear rooster or hen. but that could be anything. i usually shoot the animals i tie with or steal some from the family dog.

Most hackle does come from chickens, the roosters is stiffer and better for dry fies, the hens are softer and are best for wets and nymphs. Most feathers are taken from the neck down to the back, capes and saddles.

Joe Fox

Welcome to FAOL For a good web site to explain about hackle go to one of the sponsor web site [url=http://www.conranch.com:95d96]www.conranch.com[/url:95d96]

------------------

Bill

So which on is better to tie dries with, if they both can be used? Is there a big difference between the two?

Most hackle does come from chickens, the roosters is stiffer and better for dry fies, the hens are softer and are best for wets and nymphs.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 08 September 2005).]

Tim,

Which is better for dry fly hackle, rooster neck or saddle. Kind of depends. With a neck, you get shorter hackle in a broad range of sizes. With a saddle you get much longer feathers in a narrower range of sizes. Both have their applications. If your tying a large variety of sizes, you might consider a neck, if not then a saddle might be best for you.

If your shopping for hackle, might I suggest talking with Denny Conrad at ConRanch Hackle, [url=http://www.conranch.com.:41742]www.conranch.com.[/url:41742] Denny raises his own birds and they produce excellent hackle. Denny is also a fly fisherman and tier so he knows what we need. Lastly, Denny and Liz are honest folks who won't sell you something you don't need. The prices for ConRanch Hackle is very reasonable and available direct from the breeder, with no middle man involved.

Bear in mind that I hahve no interest in ConRanch Hackle except that Denny is a good friend and fishing buddy.

Ron Eagle Elk

[This message has been edited by NoahsBoyz (edited 08 September 2005).]

NoahsBoyz, thank you I didnt pick the size part up when I read it on the other website but after reading what you just wrote, I see now. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread