+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anvil Fly Tying Vices

Default Anvil Fly Tying Vices

Has anyone tried this brand of fly tying vices?

I am considering the Apex Vice. Is it any good before I shell out hard earned cash for one??
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Sorry guys, just did a search and found reviews which are not that favourable!

I perhaps looks nicer than it really is.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

I bought one here in the UK, really poor not usual anvil quality. Jaws very soft indeed and a lot o slop in the head when on rotary.

Cannot recommend.

Gee ! I bought this vise for my graddaughters a couple of years ago when they first were offered. I have borrowed it back a couple of times when I needed an extra vise for a student. Overall I have been impressed with the quality for the price I paid and it came with both a pedstal and a C clamp. Perhaps the early models were better built than later production runs?
    Granted it is not in the league of a Dynaking or other very high quality vise, but also it didn't carry that price tag. The jaws are more suited for small trout flies. I would not recommend it for salt water tying.

I have been a fly tyer for 52 years, started off with Thompson Model B, have tied with Renzetti Master.

Talking about economy vise that I use in travelling and club meetings I've been using Apex Anvil and HGH Silhouette vices.

The HGH is better looking but not reliable in holding big stuff. The Anvil has locking features comes standard with pedalstil and clamp base. I use the HGH in tying small trout flies and some saltwater small flies. If I had to choose one vice it would be Apex Anvil more quality for the money. $99. I tie fresh water bass, saltwater bass (some big boy stuff).

Just my thoughts.
    Armand

They are certainly cheaper in the U.S. I paid ?99.99 in the UK, so basically double what you guys paid.

+ Reply to Thread