+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Dogs

Default Our Dogs

The recent bout of people losing dogs and/or getting new dogs like we did this last year has made me stop and think a bit about our canine companions.

Our first dog was a big hairy lovable and loving lap dog that thought she was just one of the 'people' in the house, and when people came to visit, they were there to see her as much as they were to see us. She would lie down in the same room as us and rest whenever we were busy, but as soonas you asked if she wanted to go, or broke out the leash, fishing gear, stroller or anything else that might mean an adventure (fly rod included) she was right there excited and ready to go. Well, we thought we would never get another dog that was similar, but our 7-month old lab is turning out to have a very similar personality. Will climb on the couch, lay her head on the arm or pillow closest to us and quickly begin to snore very loudly, but ready to go at a moments notice.

So, do we, as owners/trainers/friends 'make' our dogs become what we need/want, or do we just seem to end up with the dog we need at that time? Does this just happen to my family?

Don

[This message has been edited by drolfson (edited 21 March 2005).]
    Don Rolfson

Dear Don,

I have to say that I am a very lucky dog owner. Both my yellow lab that I lost a few months ago and my current dog were given to me.

I am just a dog person. Any dog would do me just fine though I prefer larger dogs because I'm a big galoot.

I live alone except for my dog so it's easy for me to fit the dog into my lifestyle. I couldn't imagine life without a four legger around. Even when they are bad they good!

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I'm not sure how it works, but having had three dogs (2 mutts and one purebred)we have not had a bad fit. All 3 were chosen as pups, with the whole family in on the choice. After looking over the available litter, playing with all of them, and getting a feel for the parents, we just always seemed to know which one was the dog for us. We have visited the local humane society kennel as well as private owners when we have been looking, and there were times that we left knowing that none of the dogs there were right for us. I don't know what it is, but the feeling has always been right. That's how it is from our side of the picture.
    From the dog's side of it, I think that they are all a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They know good people from bad; they know who is a dog lover and who isn't; and they know a good home when they have one. When they are loved and accepted as a part of the family, they will do everything they can to make everything work out for everyone involved.
    CJ

Life without dogs would be a life half lived. Honestly - they just mean so much to me and my family. I have owned some purebred bird dogs, mutts, and beagles, and everyone of them has taught me something and brought much joy. A dog keeps ones heart from hardening, in spite of the horrors of the world and its often constant stream of bad and dissapointing news.. thank goodness for our four-legged pals.
    For those of you who are not familiar with it, you really should read Corey Fords great story "The Road to Tinkhamtown". It is my absolute favorite sporting story ever, and it beautifully illustrates the important role our dogs play in our lives. Cheers, and give 'em all a pat for me... Alec

Belle, my American Water Spaniel

Pickles, my mongrel pal

[This message has been edited by flytackle (edited 21 March 2005).]

I realize I am opening myself up for major league scorn here but so be it. I'm an honest man.

If you offered me a dog that peed champane and pooped gold nuggets I would politely decline. Can't stand the darn things. Same goes for cats.

Though I don't begrudge anyone their love of canines. Sometimes I feel like my mom cared for her dogs more than she did me.

eponymous,

No scorn from this corner. Just sorrow. You will never experience that undefineable something that dog lovers do. We call it love or joy or friendship or ????. We can't explain it and sometimes it hurts, but we wouldn't give it up. I truly hope there is something else in your life that takes it's place.

Dear eponymous,

No scorn from me either.

I don't like opera, fine wine, soccer, or cats. It's a big old goofy world and there is room for all of us.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Don,
    Dinah has us pretty well trained to the same standards, as did all of our previous "trainers". We sit at our own end of the couch and she beats us to the door. She makes all my runs with me in the truck, so she has a lot of time to train us. Sit and come are the two "essential" commands. All else seems pretty much voluntary and personality motivated and implimented.
    Here's Dinah on the couch, with her toy, waiting for her lazer light.
    .....lee s.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>If you offered me a dog that peed champane and pooped gold nuggets I would politely decline. Can't stand the darn things. Same goes for cats.

Though I don't begrudge anyone their love of canines. Sometimes I feel like my mom cared for her dogs more than she did me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow that's a pretty revealing post.

Have fun
    Paul

Dieter:

Didn't mean it that way. It was my daddy who didn't love me. (kidding) My Mom took good care of me. Never missed one of my soccer games until I turned pro and played away from home. (Tim - despite this I hate soccer too.)

bluehackle:

My wife and my 3 boys keep a plenty big chunk of my softer side. I also enjoy time in the garden. Another reason I can't stand those damn four legged crap factories.

+ Reply to Thread