+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying on Bead Heads

Default Tying on Bead Heads

I am having a problem with my bead heads where I dind that they slip forward over the eye of the hook. The problem is sort of obvious but I don't know the solution.

For example I am tying on a Mustad 9672 size 10 hook. The usual chart for bead heads says to use a 5/32 bead. This bead will actually slide right off over the hook eye. I stepped down to a 1/8 bead and find that this bead will slip down almost entirely over the eye of the hook making it very difficult to thread the eye.

The next size down will appears to be out of proportion to the hook size.

The problem is obviously that the forward hole is too large for the size of the eye. So the question becomes;
    1. Is this a problem with the particular batch/brand of beads that I am using. Do other brands have smaller forward holes?
    2. Is there a way to tie the bead on so that it doesn't slide forward? Should I be putting a few wraps underneat the bead before I slide it on or a few wraps in front of the bead to build up the hook at the eye?
    3. Is there another solution that works for you.

Thanks.

I have never had that problem, so my guess is that the particular brand of beads is the culprit. You could, I'm sure, build up a thread dam behind the hook eye or tie the bead on with some thread wraps back and forth over it, but that might cause problems later by being cut by a fish's teeth and seems to be a lot of extra work that you shouldn't have to do in the first place.
    Joe

What brand beads? I've never had that problem unless tieing very small flys. I get most of my beads from H&H.
    I take it you mean 1/8th pass right over the eye and off the hook also.
    The difference between a 5/32nd and 1/8th is only 20% and I doubt the fish will know!!
    Yes I've built up thread on small flies to anchor the eye.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Joe is right. Some of the earlier beads wood slip right down over the hooks eye's if you didn't use a couple of sizes larger hook than you should. The new beads are sized right. If you look at your beads one side of the bead should have a larger hole than the other side. If not you got some of the older ones. My suggestion is to buy some newer beads or use those on much larger hooks. I have some of the old ones myself and they are a pain in the butt. I don't even try using them I give them away to people LOL.. Ron

Thanks fellows. You ae confirming what I expected.

The beads are new and they are double drilled with one side larger than the other. They were bought from a company in Canada that sells beads at a very good price.

As I am in Canada, I generally do not order from US mail order companies because the postage cost tends to be exorbitant, not mentioning the hassle with Customs. This ends up reducing my options somewhat.

I guess I will use those beads up on larger size hooks and get more beads that will fit the #10 hooks properly

Try puting the small hole on first-the larger hole to the rear. That's your problem

------------------

Bill

I thought of mentioning that too but it would still not come off the hook over the eye.

If you put them on backwards they will cover the eye.

------------------
    Joe

I wish that putting the beads on backward was the problem. Nope, I put them on so that the small hole is up against the eye.

The problem I guess is simply that the holes are too large, especially the front hole. The 5/32 would slip right off the hook. The 1/8 will hang up on the bend of the eye, but covers much of the eye.

I went out and picked up a different brand of bead and the 1/8 stops at the eye. They didn't have any 5/32 beads so don't know if that brand will fit the #10 or not. But judging by the way the 1/8 fits I would suspect that the 5/32 will have too large a hole.

I guess the moral of the story is that even the suggested size charts have to be taken with a grain of salt and one has to go by trial and error.

The problem with those countersunk beads made for flys is that the hole is big enough to go over the barbs on Mustad's classic line of hooks.

There is a point where the barb and the curve of the hook require a rather large hole. Crimp the barb and I've found you can use beads with much smaller holes.

You might want to try using hooks made for bead heads. I know Orvis, for one, sells a hook called a "bead head nymph hook" which has a larger eye and a curve that is especially designed for bead heads.

[This message has been edited by sjh (edited 07 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread