+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fly tying station

Default fly tying station

Okay fellow tyers got a question for you all. In the preocess of designing a fly tying station. I have narrowed it down to an approximate size of business desk, 3x6. What I'm seeking is any and all inputs as far as what you would want in a fly tying station.

Cheers

That should be a pretty good question and illicit some really good suggestions.

To start out...I really like computer desks...they come in many sizes and configurations...can be quite inexpensive...and I particularly like using the pullout keyboard shelf.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

Maddawg,

Two of the most important issues with a tying station are lighting and seating but I don't think that is where you are going with your question.

You don't state if your vise is a clamp or pedestal which of course will have some impact on your station. I use a clamp vise so my comments will reflect that.

It would be very convenient if your station has a back on it within easy reach of your seating. I suggest that this back be 3/4 inch material painted off-white. Place several rows of finishing nails into this board to hold excess tools, bobbins etc to keep them off your working surface. This seems to work better than a tool caddy for me. You might attach a few small magnets to hold those items that don't hang well on the nails This means that 3 feet would be too deep. Mine measures 18 inches from the front edge to the back.

I would also strongly suggest that you use a replaceable work surface. I recommend 1/4 inch masonite with the off-white surfaces (name escapes me at the moment) It is inexpensive and obtainable at most home supply stores. Over time your work surface will become spotted with head cement, epoxy, paint and other crud. When you reach the point that it is too much then flip it over and use the other side. A couple of small foam blocks on the front edge about 15 inches from the vise are handy to hold the bobbins. Put them on with hot glue so you can rip them off when your reverse the board.

I think you will find that the 6 ft width is much more than you will need for a work surface so consider some shelving on either side for storage of material boxes, etc.

If you are going to make it yourself, an inexpensive work surface can be made from a wood paneled door cut to size. The excess pieces can be used to support shelving on the sides.

Good luck and have fun.

Jim Cramer

[This message has been edited by Jim Cramer (edited 17 July 2005).]

Jim,
    I LIKE the "turn over" surface. Going to apply that around here.
    Organization and neatness will NEVER be among our attainables though!
    .....lee s.

Plenty of drawers and shelves, more than you think you will need. Decide if you are going to store your reels and line and such, or if the station is soley for tying. What an great project. That size desk seems large to me too, but then I am using a surface that is 2x3.

here are some small stations. Quite the variety.
    [url=http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/oasis-1.htm:3fc75]http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/oasis-1.htm[/url:3fc75]

I know that you have probably seen these, but I was drooling on the keyboard and thought others might enjoy. The stations, not the drool.

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 17 July 2005).]

Some year I will have the "Perfect" desk built to my exact spec's....

I think the greatest single feature a desk for Tying, Can have is a LOT of Shallow drawer space....2 in. deep or less as most materials to be stored require little height space and shallower lends it's self to keeping things on top and at hand....I also think a roll top is very nice to keep things where they belong while not tying...there is just so much I've come to find a great need for in a desk....I've had 6 since I've started tying..all had good features ,but none were perfect in thought or design...I now have the worst of them all....This appartment living is not kewl at all...do not buy the drop top desk from Cabela's.....just trust me..I am now in the process of reversing that feature.....after which,I may just like this desk...MAYBE...lol..but I feel a seporate fileing cabnet type storage unit is also needed..a white or changable tying backround is a must!!!!....best of luck in your quest.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Jim,

What keeps the 1/4" masonite, from moving around on the work surface it's laying on?

I've had a small room with a wood top desk, painted off white. My storage is an 8'x4' peg board.

I tie with a pedestal base, Renzetti Traveler.

Next month we're moving where my wife and I will share a room, for my fly tying, and her sewing, drawing and knitting.

My storage will now be "upper" kitchen cabinets, set on the floor, under my bookshelves. (I'm addicted to fly fishing and fly tying books.)

My tying desk will be at the window, with my computer on one side, and the obligatory TV on the other side.

Suggestions?

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

I see the advice is from roll tops to a tying bench that you pick up and put on a shelf--If you plan to tie in the living room or den the roll top would be great to hid your mess. With a tying room like I have everthing is left out. I build tables like--- [url=http://www.flytyingfurniture.com:d050b]www.flytyingfurniture.com[/url:d050b]
    A simple oak,maple etc plywood top and trim to match with caster legs. You dont need much of a top space to tie. I have built one with a white formica top, but simple poster board paper will work for protecting the finish.
    If it's in the basement some tiers use a kitchen counter top from the hardwarw store.
    Storage space is the problem I have three shelves 8 feet long in the room and more in the garage.

------------------

Bill

Very nice william,
    But I know of a certian Brother of mine with an awesome wood working habit.( He spends his days in Kreamer PA working for "Wood Mode" custom Cabinetary)..and I can and will do it all one better,and for sooo much less...those are sweet furnishings...But those prices leave alot to be desired,In this mans eyes.
    I've already done the drawings and looked into the building of the roll top it's self..and found that is a whole lot simpler than I'd ever imagined...I want alot more drawer space than even those provide...amazeing what one can accumulate over time....

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 17 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread