+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some soft hackle patterns

Default Looking for some soft hackle patterns

I am looking for some soft hackle patterns to tie this weekend. I found one in the fly archives and would like a few more patterns. I am anxious to give Denny's JV Hen Hackle a try.

Thank you!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I did a search on the 'regular' site, not the Bulletin Board, using soft hackle as the words, then when that huge list came up, selected "match all words" at the bottom, and that gave about 9 pages - some of which are Atlantics, but it did list many in the From Canada section and both Fly of the Week and Old Flies as well. Give that a try.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

LF,

Thanks for the help. I gotta start using that keyword search more often. I am finding some interesting information on soft hackle flies.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Here is an easy one --I like to make a dubbing loop of a small pinch of pearl ice dubbing (kinda looks greenish in color), a tiny pinch of uv pearl ice dubbing (looks light purple), and some hares ear. Grey silk dubbing,mole, or muskrat also will work just fine.

After applying that dubbing loop to the hook shank I rib some fine copper wire thru it working towards the hook eye in even spaces.

Then take a dark JV hen hackle and make a few turns at the hook eye area and tie off. The resulting pattern looks "buggy" and has the real nice subtle flash that to me really suggests an emerging or struggling insect.

I made up a dozen of these for the Al Campbell memorial that Paul Dieter is managing. It is one of the best catching patterns that I ever fished. I felt that Al would appreciate that pattern in his honor.

Good fishing

You are welcome to any pattern you find useful:- [url=http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/page9.html:a96ee]http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/page9.html[/url:a96ee]

Note: There are five pages.
    The hen hackle is Conranch JV Hen.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland

[This message has been edited by Donald Nicolson (edited 07 July 2005).]
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I have a recipe for the Apache Peacock wet fly on the flytyingworld website. Got to fly tyer index, scroll down to John Larson, & at the bottom of the bio page is the recipe; especially good with red amherst tail !!!

Shmang, Donald Nicolson and MR.JML,

Thanks for the patterns. I can't wait to get started this weekend.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

My favorite is a partridge and quill. It is in the book Ozark Trout Tales on page 30.

Hook Tiemco 100 sizes 12 to 16 (I like 18s best)
    Thread Gray or Black (I've also used brown tyipically 6/0)
    Body: Stripped Peacock Herl
    Thorax: Hares mask fur blend
    Hackle: Gray Partridge

The stripped quill body should be coated with head cement to help protect it. The quill makes the body look like a segmented bug, looks very realistic.

Dan

Here is my goto fly:
    [url=http://www.ozarkangler.com/education/lesson06.html:7fcb6]Partridge and Yellow[/url:7fcb6]
    Never leave home without it. Trout and panfish love it.

If you really get in to it...a fun book is "The Soft Hackled Fly Addict" by Sylvester Nemes, and "Clyde Style Flies" by John Reid. Not only are they fun to tie, they're a hoot to fish!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread