+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner quality?

Default Beginner quality?

Ok, I've been tying for about a month now. The quality of my finished fly has greatly improved, but some of my flies look a little sparse...or bushy. They are getting better and I know that it'll take some time for a good quality, but will they catch anything if presented the right way at the right time?

I'm not sure I'm asking this question right. How good does a fly have to be to be fishable? Thats better!!!

------------------
    Brad

The fish don't care (within reason. . . sometimes without )

Some guys claim the uglier it is, the better it catches.

just fish them and see what happens. In most cases a good presentation is much more important than a perfectly tied fly.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Brad,

Just remember that the fish will strike anything that looks alive. That is why a bushy fly catches fish. The extra material gives the fly movement. Maybe the extra material looks like legs moving, etc. In fast current, the fish do not have a lot of time to look the fly over so do not get to particular with coping every detail of the "bug" you are tying. Tie a few and take them to the water and let the fish tell you if they like it or not. Most of all, have fun in your tying and in your fishing. Don't get too serious. Fishing is suppose to be fun. Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

All my flies are ugly ... but the fish love them and if my flies catch fish then they will eat anything....

------------------
    Mike

Don't be shy, throw that fly and like already mentioned see what happens. I can remember back when I started tying and tied up my first deer hair Bass bug. Looked ugly and out of porportion but I fished it and much to my surprise, caught a very nice 3lb Smallmouth Bass after the fourth cast. Only then did I really notice that I needed a lot of practice spinning deer hair, for when the fish was released there was not much hair left on the fly...........it was floating all over the water in front of me. I beleave this is how we all learn......by doing. Have fun and keep tying!

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Don't sweat it. I still tie ugly flies.

Rick

Sitting at the picnic table after lunch one day I tried to tie a copy of an inch worm crawling by, uglyest damn thing you could imagine. Caught a trout on it about an hour later. Made my whole trip.
    Throw 'em out there and see what's bitin'.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hey Weasal,

I've been tying flies for a number of years and I consider my skill level to be above average but well below expert or professional. I tie flies in the evening for relaxation and for my own enjoyment. I share flies with a lot of friends as well as people I meet on the stream. When I give away flies I generally give away my best efforts because I would hate to have someone say or think that the flies I gave them were poorly tied. This means that I generally fish with the "misfits" with crowded heads, chucky bodies, or wings that are not quite right. The fish don't seem to mind at all. Keep up your tying efforts and catch fish as you go. Remember that fish tend to look for the misfits, cripples and the injured. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

When I am not catching fish, I always wonder if it is my tying or not. Why don't you take along a "store bought" of the same pattern and try them both? I've been meaning to do this.

+ Reply to Thread