+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: golden stone pattern

Default golden stone pattern

If anyone could give me a golden stone pattern that works well i would appriciate it

Thanks

Thanks jc, but i dont have the right materials for that pattern, but ive been using a pattern of my own, the stimulater, royal trude, and jack dennis's, amy's special.

Oh by the way, i think i remember your profile as you living in washington state, so when does the golden stone fly, and the trico hatch start and end? Because i was camping a couple of days ago on a local stream, and went fishing before dark, and happened to walk right into the middle of a golden stone fly hatch. I was just wondering, because i have been seing the skins of stone flies on rocks. The reason for asking about the trico hatch was because i walked passed a pool, and saw several fish hits all over the pool, but i couldent see any flies on top.

Thanks and happy fishing

Hey, fishy,
    Who am I to say what you've got but I'll bet you can tie JC's recommendation with what you've got.Amy's ant has foam..scrounge up some sheet like foam packing material that comes e.g. with most electronics....or use a feather...and you're of and running....

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

fishy,

Never,and I mean never...be affraid to substiute any kind of materials on any fly pattern you come across,we all went through that stage where we did'nt have alot of what we "thought" we needed,and you can use the other stuff as you aquire it.
    things are only as complicated as you,yourself make them out to be,Keep it simple and exparament to your hearts content,we all have.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

A pattern alot of people around here like is the Norm Woods Special. It's Like a stimulator but with tan calf tail instead of elk.

JC is right these hatches can be highly localized. On the lower Deschutes the Golden stone hatch conincides roughly with the Salmonflys and is over by late June. 40 miles away on the Metolius, the golden stones are around all summer. I suspect they are different species, even though they look the same.

Good luck.

Jay

Jay,
    Isn't it interesting how the Norm Wood's has "changed" over the years.

Indeed, when Kaufmann came out with the stimulator I thought how sorta like the NW they were... and now I see in the shops flies labeled Norm Wood specials that are just as you said stimulators with a calftail wing.

a few weeks ago I saw a flybox full of NW's tied by Norm himself for this guide..believe me they are different...

also he is very specific in the color of the calftail...most others that tie his pattern aren't as specific...

there are those that think it really makes a difference.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

Blog Entries

Hey fishy, if I recall correctly, the goldens used to hatch on the East Fork about this time of year. I know we used to throw them while the summer runs were in the river. The places I used to fish all have houses along them now, but if you can get up above Sunset, the trout fishing should be good with those. Siouxon Creek was also good this time of year.

I use a muddler minnow tied flat for my golden stones. Works well, floats well.

Let me know how you do.

Dennis

Well thanks for all the help, i went camping last night, and fished the same time, but the golden stones wernt hatching
    so im going to try going out again and seeing what happens.

I live about 3 miles below sunset, and for a fair warning to you DG you will get fined majorly for fishing above sunset falls.

Happy fishing

Blog Entries

Fishy, I did not know that it was closed above Sunset. When I was your age, that was trout water, not steelhead water. They blasted a channel around the falls one year for the fish to get around it. Guess they have taken to managing the upper river for spawning habitat now. Thanks for letting me know.

PS. Zigzag Lake, up at the top of that road, has brookies in it. Or had, at least.

Dennis

ducksterman,

I don't want to hijack this thread but I would be interested in what the original Norm Woods Special looked like. I must have a dozen pattern books and I don't think it's in any of them. I've seen it tied with a pink-orange wing also.

Jay

+ Reply to Thread