+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you give flies away?

Default Do you give flies away?

If you do, what is the story about it?

I have given flies away a couple of times. Both times I put post on FAOL and within hours somebody had replied and I shipped them a box full of flies. This was if I dont fish them at least somebody else will.

The reason I give them away is that I always tie way too many and it is the best way to get a fresh start in my fly boxes.

Regards,

Alberto

Blog Entries

Rick,
    I give flies away frequently. If someone asks me what fly I am using while fishing I will offer them a couple. If the person also ties, I will give them the recipe for the fly if they are interested. I also give away flies when I tie at the Sowbug Roundup and the Smallmouth Rendezvous, as do most of the other tiers. Recently a gentleman told me about doing well with a fly that I had given him at the Sowbug Roundup a couple of years or so ago, so you never know when you may make a difference in someone's fishing by simply giving them a fly or two.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I usually have a mess of flies extra, just in case I run into someone on the river who is short of the fly that the trout are loving at the moment.

I always try to be helpful to those inexperienced fly fishers I run into. If their box is shy of a few flies I usually give them a half dozen or so.

That being said, if the person is polite and has some streamside manners, that makes the giving all that much more pleasant.

REE

I have a few friends and yeah,they all tend to Flyfish even if I myself have never had the chance to fish side by side with them in some cases,My flies always seem rather welcome,when I give a few to a friend.
    And I like the feedback they give me especially when it's a pattern of my own design.
    which is the main reason for my giving them,I know they'll not find them elsewhere.
    The smiles that greet me when meeting up with these guys is all I need for reason for giving...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I suppose you mean give flies away on stream.

I've met guys on stream that have given me flies, and guys that even showed me how to rig them up -- two fly rigs mostly and always when they were catching fish and I wasn't. Mostly they were guys that I didn't know and have never seen since. I'm going to do by best to return that favor, even if it isn't to the same guy.

So I'm trying to make a point of carrying extra flies so I can do this when the opportunity comes up -- and the opportunity has come up a couple of times this spring.

All the time...If I'm catching and some asks, I will always give them some. Glad to help out. I don't want to offend people so I only give them if someone inquires. I usually just strike up a friendly conversation with most people anyway.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

If I see a young person just starting out, I mean mid-teens, I clean my fly patch off and try to help put them on fish. Usally will also give them what is hot in my box that day. The best giving experience I had this year was tying for the make a wish child that was post on this board.
    While a Roaring RIver a few weeks ago I gave an elderly gentlemen a handful of my favorite flies, he wanted to pay and I said no. His wife was my teacher in 7th grade, and he was in charge of work study when my wife was in college. I figure his wife helped me learn to tie by helping me become a person who loves to read. I need to add he had been there four days and no luck at all. He caught 4 or 5 in a couple of hours after I gave him the flies. Was a good day for me also, I caught that 5 lb 14 oz lunker.
    BillMc

[This message has been edited by BillMc (edited 26 June 2005).]

All Day...Every day

(I never keep any tie that I do at any show)

------------------
    harry mason
    [url=http://www.troutflies.com:95d0c]http://www.troutflies.com[/url:95d0c]
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

When I am fishing and having a good day and another fisherman/woman comes up to me and asks what fly I am using and catching fish on, I will show them the fly and if they are interested in it, I will usually give them a couple. I want them to enjoy catching fish and if the fly I am using is working then they need it. There are some, very few, that as soon a they see that I am using a nymph or streamer, they are no longer interested in the fly I am using. These are usually the people who prefer to use dry flies. This use to really bother me until I finally realized that there are those, like me, who enjoy catching fish and will use whatever fly(dry or wet)that is working and there are those who enjoy fishing dry flies only. I have even swapped a dozen of my go to flies for a dozen of another person's go to flies. Since I tie my own, I am always giving flies away to those who want them. There have been times when the other person was interested in having a couple of my flies and I did not offer them any due to the stringer hanging on their belt. I am sorry, but, I am very strong on C&R. I enjoy tying flies and I also enjoy giving them away to those who want them. It has made many new friends for me.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread