+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pattern of the Masters

Default Pattern of the Masters

Hello,

Reading around the Internet I have seen reference to the book(s) called the Patterns of the Masters published by the Federation of Fly Fisher.

Reading this article... [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/week178.html:073f7]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/week178.html[/url:073f7]
    I understand the difference between the FFF Fly Pattern Encyclopedia and the Patterns of the Masters.

What I am confused about is that I have found references to Patterns of the Masters that were published in differnet years.

I could not find any references to the book(s) on the [url=http://www.fedflyfishers.org/:073f7]http://www.fedflyfishers.org/[/url:073f7]

So my questions are...

1) Is the Pattern of the Masters published yearly?

2) Does each Pattern of the Masters contain different flies?

3) How many Pattern of the Masters volumes are there and where do you purchase them?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by classicflytyer (edited 21 June 2005).]

classic,

There are a lot of pattern reference books out there and if the book 'FFF Fly Pattern Encyclopedia' is the one I'm thinking about, there are many that are much better.

Allan

classicflytyer,

The FFF has an annual national conclave each year (generally early August). For a number of years the particitating demo tiers would provide a pattern and recipe for bundling, hence the year listed on the Patterns of the Masters cover.

1) Is the Pattern of the Masters published yearly?
    It was for a number of years.

2) Does each Pattern of the Masters contain different flies?
    Yes

3) How many Pattern of the Masters volumes are there and where do you purchase them?
    From memory, four or five issues. No idea where to get copies now. Sorry.

Cheers.
    Hans W

------------------

[This message has been edited by Flytier (edited 21 June 2005).]

The Patterns of the Masters was a collection of patterns of the Demonstration Tiers at the various FFF Conlaves over the years. The one we have was the 30th Anniverary Edition, put out in 1995 and available at the Conclave (in Livingston MT that year.) The books were produced by the Oregon Council of FFF. Each of the people tying at that years conclave were asked to submit a fly, the recipe and step-by-step instructions for a fly (or one in several catagories) along with a bio and contact information.

I don't know if they are still being done or not. If we have any readers from the Oregon FFF Council perhaps they could fill us in?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

5. Default

Sorry to sorta hijack the thread but Hans...what's with the new name?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

The Patterns of the Masters was put together by David L. Nelson the son of Dick Nelson who is a Buczek Award winner. The project was a tremendous undertaking. I am lucky enough to have all of the issues. Lotsa history there.
    SweetStreamS

Hi classicflytyer,

SweetStreamS is right Dave Nelson started the Patterns Series and later the Oregon Council took of the task - and it was monumental! I have them all and they are a real treasure. I just checked my library and volume six was the last I could find on a quick check. They were not published every year. Dave started the project in the early 90's and the last one was done in the late 90's. Volume six was a two year project done by Skip Hosfield. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:a9eb2]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:a9eb2]

Just sold my volume 6 on an auction site earlier this year.

Can i ask a ball park figure it sold for. thanks bob

I don't recall how much. Looks like one just sold from 1989 for $26.

+ Reply to Thread