+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caucci/Nastasi color formulas

Default Caucci/Nastasi color formulas

i wonder if anyone has the formulas for the colors...
    lt yellow
    red brown
    dark olive
    pale yellow
    med olive
    med olive brown
    dark brown
    apple green
    These are blended using primary colors,yellow,red blue and white.thanks CJ

CJ,

You will probably need to read the book 'Fly-tyer's Color Guide' by C/N to understand how the formulas are set up. They are not simply a bit of this and that or a percentage of combinations. The blends are based on amounts of each base color as you measure them into different size circles.

The base colors are Red, Yellow, Blue and White. The number of 'pinches' of each color appears on the package of 'Spectrumized' dubbing. To make each of the blends come out as originally intended you often have to play a little with the formulas. I know because for several years I had to do it.

By the way, if you can duplicate the base colors while the fur is still on the skin you are better off. It makes it easier to remove more of the guard hairs.

Spectrumized dubbing is excellent. If you need the 'formulas, email me, I'll look them up and get back to you.

Allan

Tye,
    I knew you would read this! I am going to get that book,I really like the "spectrumized" idea.Those guys are kind of like my heros,what with Al's all knowing knowlege of stream insects!
    Great partnership they had.
    talk to you soon,CJ

May be just me, but I found the process a waste of time. While blending red, yellow, blue and white might work in liquid paints, it for sure did not work for me using angora hair as described in the book. The individual hairs are just too coarse, and the results simply came out as mixes of red, yellow, blue and white

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hans,

Not sure why you used angora hair or how that material would look. Caucci/Nastasi used dyed white rabbit and I've stuck to that material because it's easy to get,cheap, dyes easily, blends nicely and dubs easily. Best way I found was dye the skin, cut small clumps and remove as many guard hairs as possible. By the way, does 'Spectrumized' (or multi-colored) dubbing work better than a single color? I'll leave that conclusion to fly tyers/fishers to figure out on their own.

Allan

Alan,

Angora rabbit. Pretty sure that is what was called for in the book, though it has been a few years and I may not be correct.

May dig out the book, it is still around here somewhere, and double-check.

Regular rabbit would have thye same effect, I am pretty certain.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hans,
    I have,as does Allan,the actual packages of the Caucci/Nastasi dubbing,and while I know what you refering to as "mixes of red blue yellow and white" this is the affect that is the result of mixing primary colors. The end result is different compared to mixing "buggy" colors,but the spectrumized dubbing was intended to match the underside of insects,the part the fish sees.When this stuff gets wet,it looks good as a dry fly body.I have a whole series of eastern mayflys tied with this material,and I can vouch for its effectiveness! Thanks for the replys,CJ

+ Reply to Thread